Sunday, April 12, 2015

Aomori Adventures

Well we have some big news concerning Connor this week... He is sporting 2 new teeth on the bottom AND started baby food! I think his two favorite flavors so far are bananas and carrots. I'm glad he is liking the food cause with his new sharp razor teeth I have a feeling his nursing days are limited! Besides that he is just rolling everywhere and starting to scoot. I think in the next month he might get into the crawling position and start sitting on his own. Needless to say all this growing and eating sure makes him tired... And where is his favorite place to sleep you may ask? Well of course it's on mom's side of the bed. Every night I have to share my pillow. Good thing he is cute cause looking at his little face makes up for the fact that I am literally falling out of our full size bed that FMO is letting us use till our stuff arrives. I feel like I'm living the nursery rhyme "3 in the bed and the little one said roll over, roll over. They all rolled over and one fell out."
 
Speaking of our stuff, we got news that it has made it to Japan! It is now just going through customs and hopefully will be on its way to Misawa any day now. Here's to Sleeping on a king size bed soon!!! I can't wait to be all settled in and make this house feel like a home.

It was a pretty low key week for Abby, Connor, and myself. Of course it's never an easy week for Kyle. He is busy juggling LPA duties like snack-o runs, and trying to finish up with MQT so he is ready for his TDY to Alaska. I am trying not to think about him being gone for 2.5-3 months. I already get teary eyed and we still have 2 more weeks. Don't get me wrong I love Kyle and I will miss him, but I think the premature tears are from me thinking about how I will be alone with the two little kids. No relief, no help, nothing! It's the Jenny show 24/7 with the gremlins (aka Abby and Connor) and I just pray Kyle still recognizes me when he gets back with my gray hair (fini hve any hair left), bags under my eyes, and nervous twitch or should I say twitches. I think whoever came up with the saying "it takes a village to raise a child" must have been a military spouse. Let's just say I will be needing the help of my "village" of other moms and friends around me to keep me from going completely insane.

Friday night Kyle and I finally got to go on a date... Kid free! With the move things have been a bit busy and stressful that we haven't had much time to go out or find a sitter. But with him leaving soon we are trying to squeeze in as much quality time as possible to last us 3 months of separation. We went out to eat at our favorite restaurant here in Misawa called Aburian. It's is a self cook Japanese steak house. It tasted even better cause we didn't have to wrestle two cute kids either while trying to eat :)

Saturday came around and we had a fun day planned to check out Aomori. Aomori is kind of like the Capitol of our prefecture or state I guess you could call it here in Japn. It's about an hour and a half away from Misawa just because the speed limits are soooooo slow around here! But the drive was beautiful and made me think of Washington with all the trees. We stopped at the big Buddha statue right outside the city limits. There are only a couple of giant Buddhas in Japan so it was pretty neat to see the huge bronze statue on the majestic hill side. Abby just loved the wide open space to run around. Of course everywhere we go she has to say "hi" and "see ya" to everyone we pass, so she was quite popular as the Japanese people would smile and wave to Abby. Little miss congeniality.
 
 
 
 
 
 
When we got to the city of Aomori we checked out the pier and ocean as well as tourist center. Growing up on the west coast the Pacific Ocean was obviously on the west. Here in Japan it is on the east. It always amazes me to think it is the same ocean that I grew up next to my whole life even though now I am on the other side of it. We also started to notice how small everything is. Here in Japan the cars are small, people are small, clothes are small, food portions are small, and buildings for the most part are small. Lots or cars and buildings are pastels (yes I tried to convince Kyle we needed a pink car but he didn't seem to see the need like I did and stil do, lol) and there are cute little smile faces on everything! Sometimes I feel like I'm in a cute little doll world, then other times I just feel like an awkward giant. 

For lunch we decided we wanted some good old American food and decided to eat at Tony Roma's. Even though it was a Japanese take on American food it still was delicious and a little reminder of home. It was definitely a fun little trip and a place we hope to go back and visit several times during our 3 years here. Looks like our next excursion will be Tokyo and Kyoto when Kyle gets back in July. We plan on taking 10 days or so to travel around south of Misawa. That should be a very fun trip, One that I am really looking forward to! There is just so much to see in Japan. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment