Well, there's no doubt that this has been a crazy time for us! I have been teaching ballet 4 nights a week while the other ballet teacher is gone on maternity leave. Luckily this should be the last week. It's so difficult to find a sitter (cause we know Kyle is never home to watch the kids cause he doesn't have a schedule with his job... Don't get me started!) on top of running around teaching classes and keeping our family together. What I am learning from all this though is how to say "no."
As much as I am glad I was able to help this teacher during this special time for her, I will never agree to take over classes again for someone's maternity leave. My kids are my first priority, and with Kyle working 12+ hour daily shifts at work, they need at least one stable parent that's always there. And lately we both have been absent a lot between work, church callings, and squadron obligations. For me the hardest word in the English language is "no," but now I am learning it's not that difficult. I am learning that I can't overload my plate because it not only affects me, but my sweet babies. They are my world!
With the new year, and all the new goals and events that are occurring I feel like we are running a zoo at the Benham Casa. I'm getting a glimpse of what our future will look like driving kids here and there to various activities.
Abby had her official Daiichi orientation for this upcoming year (Japanese school year starts in April). She will have to start wearing her uniform and be required to go 5 days a week! She loves school and actually was crying when I told her it was time to leave. The only problem is I am the one crying now that they are telling me she needs to go full time. I am going to miss my little baby girl. She will be gone from 9-2 M-F and the 1st/3rd/5th Saturdays of the month. I feel a lot of pressure to make sure that when she is home she gets plenty of attention and love from us as well as gets taught the gospel since these are all so important in their foundation years. It starts in the home... What little home time she will have :(
Well since we are running a zoo, it's only fitting that we have two monkeys! Abby and Connor have invented a new favorite game of theirs. They love taking turns crawling on top of Abby's blanket box and flipping over her stuffed bear onto her bed, which is currently lowered to the ground so she doesn't roll off in the middle of the night. It's really the first time we have seen them go off together to play. I can be downstairs and they will go up together with nothing but laughter bellowing down the stairs as evidence as to where they are. It's all fun and games till someone gets hurt... No more monkeys jumping on the bed!
My little boy monkey, Connor, is not only into jumping on the bed, but loves to climb... EVERYTHING! Sometimes I can predict and foresee where he will make his next move, and other times I will turn my back on him for 2 seconds to find him on the kitchen counter! He is just too smart. Pulling chairs here, dragging stools there, basically he will use whatever he can find to pull himself up. Oh boy, he keeps me busy.
Recently Connor likes to put these rings around his ankles and walk around the house. Kyle calls them ankle weights and I call them anklets. Needless to say it's pretty funny to watch him strut his stuff around the house wearing the rings.
We started a new disciplinary program with the kids (well Abby, Connor is too young but will jump on the same train once he is 2). It's called "1-2-3 magic." I was a little skeptical but you know what, it works. It was hard at first to get Abby to grasp the concept that when mom and dad ask her to do something or to stop doing something we mean it and there will be consequences if she doesn't obey. It's amazing how after one week there seems to be less frustration (parents) and screaming (kids) around the house. After all, with such hectic schedules we have, and this crazy zoo we run, we thought it was about time to reign in the monkey business. Yes 2016, you are looking like a promising year indeed... Busy, but promising.






No comments:
Post a Comment