Sunday, October 16, 2016

Sports day

It finally arrived, sports day! Abby has been practicing at school for quite some time now and she was ready for her dancing performance as well as numerous races. Sports day is a big ceremony (kind of like the Olympics) where parents get to come and watch their kids participate in different races, relays, and sporting events among other students in the school. Each class also puts on a little performance. I don't know if its a Japanese tradition, but I do know that all Japanese schools in the surrounding area have a sports day from yochien level through high school.

The program started with all the kids marching into the track area class by class, singing the school song, lighting the game torch and doing their "warm up exercises." Then it was time for the games to begin. Abby participated in several running games, and her class won the relay race as well!

Connor's class even had a couple events that parents had to assist in, so naturally Connor wanted Kyle to help him. Meanwhile I got to sit back and watch. It was a fun cultural event for the fist three hours, then the discomfort started to set in. Being pregnant in the sun, sitting criss cross for that long, all while being packed in like a sardine was not what I would call enjoyable. Connor started loosing it too out of hunger and being so tired (it was clearly nap time) and we still had three more hours to go! I couldn't believe how long the event was. Luckily we were the last ones parked in the tight parking place so we were able to get out easy. We snuck out when Abby had a little down time to go grab food and to hopefully have Connor fall asleep before having to head back. Well, the food part worked, but the nap part, not so much. Our bellies were full, but the kids were too wired to take a nap. Since Connor couldn't sleep he decided screaming was the best alternate. So I got to stay in the car with him for the last hour and a had listening to him scream and have my ears bleed do to the shrill sound, while Kyle assisted Abby in the rest of the sports day program. Of course Connor fell asleep in the car AFTER the event on our way home. I tell ya, motherhood sure is a humbling, frustrating, patience trying experience. Its a good thing I love that kid unconditionally cause listening to him scream for over an hour was enough to drive me insane.

Abby had fun, and that's all that matters. Overall it was a fun day that we got to spend together as a family. Watching Abby in the races made me realize I don't have a baby girl anymore. She is getting so big and learning new things every day. Her language is getting so strong in all three languages, English, Italian, and Japanese, and her coordination has improved immensely. I am so glad that she loves her school and all her friends there. I got to hear all about sports day highlights from her for the rest of the day. Only this time I was able to relive the fun experience with her minus the screaming Connor part.

No comments:

Post a Comment