Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Washington visit

From Yokota to Seattle, to Vegas, then back up to Portland. It was a busy and long day, especially since I got to live it twice thanks to the time zone changes. I was exhausted, smelly, but I didn't care. I was on a mission to see my kids again, and that's all I cared about.

I was lucky enough to make the space A flight out of Yokota Air Base, and Kyle and I parted ways. He took the trains back up to Misawa to out process, pack out, pick up Sandy and then will fly out the next week to meet us in Washington. Since I was with Kyle all day everyday these past couple weeks it felt weird at first to be apart. My feelings of loneliness were quickly filled by three cute kids who greeted me in the Las Vegas airport. Oh it felt amazing to hug and hold my babies!!! I missed them so much, and they were so cute wanting to tell me all about their time with grandma and grandpa.

We made it to Washington and once we arrived to my parent's place we all just crashed and fell asleep. Thankfully the kids slept well that night and we had a great first day together, which also was Sunday. It was nice to go to church again since it had been several weeks since Kyle and I had attended due to our cruise. The kids did great, but were a little apprehensive to leave me to go to Primary. My mom stayed with Connor the whole second and third hour of church in Sunbeams and got a kick out of spending time with him. Apparently he even introduced himself as Boo Boo to the whole Primary when they sang a welcome song to him. Hahaha, oh Connor! He is such a cutie patootie.

The rest of the week both my parents had to work so during the day the kids and I spent time together playing downstairs in the amazing kids room my dad painted and put together for the kids, and ran some errands. It was nice to have that alone time with the kids to make up for our separation these past couple weeks. On the nice days we would go outside to the park and play, but those nice days were few and far between, especially in Washington during February. All the rain made me miss the warm tropical climate of south east Asia.





It was also the 2018 Winter Olympics! At night after we would put the kids to bed, mom, dad, and myself would stay up late watching the athletes perform in the various events that took place in South Korea. I always enjoy watching the figure skating, and this year did not disappoint. Even though the American ice skaters were somewhat of a disappointment, the male Japanese skaters were fantastic and gave me a reason to cheer! Go Japan, forever our second home! The home sickness for Japan has really been creeping in lately. Now that the dust has settled from our whirlwind of a trip, I am forced to face the fact that I am not going back to Japan. Even though it feels like we are just back stateside for a quick visit, I know deep down that this isn't a visit, but just a stepping stone as we make the official move back to America.

My heart aches and longs to go back to the land of the rising sun. I miss the culture, the people, everything! Our lives are back in Misawa and we had to just leave them all behind in pursuit of new lives in Arizona. The only thing I will not miss about Japan is the cold weather, so I am trying to really focus my excitement on the warm, sunshine and blue skies that we will have in Arizona. Home is where the Air Force sends us and where we can all be together. We can't wait for Kyle to get here with Sandy so we can all be united again and start our new adventure.

This week was also Valentine's day, and besides the heart candies that my dad brought home for the kids, we didn't really do too much to celebrate. The kids opened a little present that grandma and grandpa Benham gave them, and I decided we would start a new, fun Valentine's day tradition and go get some donuts. So we hit up Krispy Kremes and the kids had a blast. The got adorable heart shaped donuts, watched the donuts get made, and then we met up with my dad, Pappie, for lunch. It was a fun day in which I was reminded how much I love my kids. They are my whole world and have my whole heart. I know I am a biased mother, but they sure a the cutest things I ever did see! I think Valentine's day donuts will be a new tradition we do each year with my forever Valentines.
Little Brayden has been extra snugly lately. I think he is starting to get a cold, and is always wanting to sit on my lap or Nonna's or Pappie's. I think none of us are complaining about the extra love from our little man, and perhaps my favorite part of the day is in the early hours of the morning when he starts to whine I just put him in the bed with me and he burrows right next to me and falls fast asleep. I often find myself looking forward to the day when my kids are older and a little easier to manage, but then again I realize that these special moments of snuggling babies, and where my kids love to be with me all the time will end soon. For now I need to stop to smell the roses so to speak and enjoy this time in my life being a mom to small kiddos.
My parents found these dress up clothes just for Connor. It's so easy to find dress up clothes for Abby cause Disney Princess dresses are a dime a dozen, but finding clothes for little boys is a bit trickier. I was so excited when my mom told me about the present they had for Connor, and I knew he was going to love it as well. Each day they surprised him with a new outfit. All together he got a firefighter, police officer, army man, and pilot dress up clothes. He was in heaven! He loved them so much it took much convincing to get the outfits off him each day for bath time and bedtime. Besides that he wore them all day everyday. When we would run errands everyone at the stores or park would just smile and say how cute he was. Connor would even get into the part and when he was a firefighter he would run around the house making siren sounds.
Perhaps my favorite part about our visit in Washington was getting to take my kids to see all their grandmas. We went to visit Nana who is 100 years old! She unfortunately isn't mentally with it like I remember her being when I was growing up, and now lives in a facility where they take care of her. Seeing my kids interact with their great, great grandmother was something special. It was like witnessing the full circle of life. Here was a woman who has lived a century, on her way out of this life spending time with my young kids who are just starting out in life. Connor really bonded with Nana and would drive his little car up and down her leg while we talked with her. It was a sweet moment I will always remember when the time comes and my dear Nana passes. It really is true how we come into this life innocent and in the case of my Nana leave life innocent as well. I am just grateful that my kids have had the opportunity to meet their great great grandmother in this life. How many people can say that?!


We also stopped by to see my dad's mother, Grammie. Oh how I love my Grammie!! She had a couple strokes years ago, and like my Nana isn't all the way there mentally, but her sweet spirit is as strong as ever! It's impossible not to smile around Grammie and her funny, innocent comments. I realize that not only are my kids lucky to have such amazing women in their lives and examples to look up to, but I do as well. Grammie has always been a rock. A rock in the gospel, and a rock for everyone else to lean on. Her legacy is that of something great, and I hope to be just like Grammie in this life.
We got lunch with grandma Cowan, or GG (great grandma) as my kids know her. I always love catching up with grandma, it almost takes me back to my childhood. I am so lucky that I was raised near my grandparents and saw them on a regular basis. They were always at our house for birthday dinners, holidays, and family gatherings. I know that things have been hard on grandma since Boopa passed away two years ago. We all miss him, and I know she is lonely. Hopefully our visit with her was as much fun her as it was for us.
I have to give a shout out to my parents! They have been so great to let us crash at their place for the past 10 days while waiting for Kyle to fly back to meet up with us. They have helped me with the kids and have been great shoulders to cry on as I have struggled with saying goodbye to our home in Japan. PCSing is hard, but when you have awesome parents like I do that help distract you and buffer the challenges that come with a complete life changing move it's doable.
Kyle said his final goodbyes to everyone back in Misawa. He said goodbye to his jet, his squadron, the ward, and even our house and furniture. He said he watched all the movers pack up our things and fit all our belongings in 4 giant crates to be shipped across the Pacific. It's official, our time in Misawa is over. Kyle boards the flight tomorrow to Seattle with Sandy, and we are so excited to see them both again. Our chapter in Japan has come to an end. The amazing memories and relationships made there are all we are left with. We will be back for a visit again soon, Japan. Till then, Sayonara! And Sayonara to Kyle's facial hair (hooray!!!) He has been growing out his beard since he has been on leave and now has to finally shave it. His clean shaved face is symbolic for the clean slate we have ahead of us. New face, new beginnings, new life in Arizona!



No comments:

Post a Comment