It's Easter weekend, and we decided to go and check out Atlanta, GA for the day on Saturday. As much as Kyle really didn't want to go and just wanted to stay home and relax and watch basketball all day, I REALLY needed to get out. For some reason this week was really hard on me and the kids. We are getting really antsy about living in a temporary place and are missing our things like our toys, my cooking stuff, and our beds! The weather has also been pretty cold this week which means we have been trapped inside for majority of the days. We try to explore indoor places like the art museum in Montgomery, Chick Fil A (a staple for us these days), and other locations around the city like Rockin' Jump trampoline park. I am ready for SOS to be over and for us to get on with our lives in Arizona.
We decided to drive to Atlanta since it's only a 2 hour drive away. While we were driving out the kids watched a movie in the back seats while Kyle and I flirted with the idea of him going Guard out of Montgomery and flying commercial for Delta out of Atlanta. Not going to lie, it kind of sounds amazing to me right now. Our intentions have always been to make the Air Force a career and stay in for the whole 20 years, but lately it's been taking a toll on our family and making us second guess if that is the right choice for us. Before any decisions are made we are going to give the F-35s a chance and see if Kyle likes the new aircraft, and if it's a better lifestyle for our family. I hope it is, but if not Guard/airlines isn't a bad option ;)
We went with two destinations in mind, the Coca Cola factory and the Aquarium. Apparently Coca Cola was invented in Atlanta so there is a giant soda plant there that you can visit and learn about Coca Cola and try practically every flavor of soda in the world, and the Atlanta Aquarium is the #1 aquarium in the country. Let's just say we were all really excited and set our expectations extremely high.
We first went to the Coca Cola factory and were a little stunned that it cost $18 each for an adult and we had to pay $13 for Abby and Connor. We kept saying it costs so much cause it must be amazing, right? Well we were sorely disappointed. We watched a 20 minute inspiration film about how Coca Cola is a part of all of our lives and big moments of celebration (you better believe I sobbed like a baby when they showed a military homecoming), then walked around a museum type of a room displaying old bottles, and explaining how it was originally made. The kids were bored out of their minds and Kyle and I just couldn't believe we paid almost $70 for practically nothing. We rushed through the museum part because it wasn't keeping anyone's attention, and finally made it to the tasting room, definitely the highlight of the place! Connor, my soda junkie, was in heaven. He tried a couple flavors but kept asking for more and more Dr. Pepper. I blame myself for his addiction because when I was pregnant with him all I ever craved was Dr. Pepper, Watermelon, and Steak. I literally had a can or two a day of Dr. Pepper during his pregnancy and he came out practically with an IV pumping Dr. pepper into his veins. Sorry for starting the addiction, Connor. We all enjoyed trying the different flavors that were organized by continents and then countries. Out of all the flavors we tried hands down the nastiest flavor was from Italy. Hahaha oh Kyle and his love of Italians and all things Italy...except that nasty soda flavor!
We stopped for a quick lunch break outside. There was a little green belt area between the Coca Cola factory and the aquarium where we had a little picnic. We couldn't have asked for better weather, but with good weather and it being a Saturday everything was so crowded! After lunch we were fed and recharged for round two, the aquarium. Surely it would not be as big of a disappointment as the Coca Cola factory... or so we thought. Kyle and I cost $40 each for admissions and all the kids were $20 each. We thought this better be the best freaking aquarium in the world at those prices!!! It was huge, and pretty cool, but it was also super packed full of people. We saw a sea lion show as well as a dolphin show which the kids loved. They had quite the impressive underwater walking path where lots of different kinds of fish, sharks, and even whales were swimming all around you. Was it cool? Yes! Was it worth the cost of admissions? No. We are glad we went though cause now we can say we have been to the nation's largest and best aquarium and the kids had a blast. Isn't that what really is important? In fact the kids loved it so much that Connor has been talking about the sharks and fishies in his prayers for the past couple days.
On Easter we dyed some eggs, and attempted to watch/listen to Conference. I lover General Conference, but with little kids it is just so hard to focus and to actually get anything out of it. But we did want to start setting good habits for the kids so we had them sit and watch all of Sunday morning session. That was just about all they could handle. Kyle and I will just listen to the rest of conference on our own over the next couple weeks.
I love Easter so much. In fact Easter is my favorite holiday. Yes, even above Christmas! I love the message of hope that Easter brings and I love how the season changes to spring and the world takes life again with flowers, blossoms, and greenery. Everything about Easter is symbolic to me and I am so grateful for my loving Savior. He paved the way, He caries all of our crosses, because He loves each and everyone of us. Easter is the day that changed everything, it is the day that Christ completely fulfilled his mission and was resurrected!
Of course Easter would not be complete without a visit from the Easter bunny. I was the worst parent ever and when we returned into town Saturday night from Atlanta I slipped away to go Easter shopping. I was completely last minute and all the stores were completely picked over, but I managed to find a couple things to put in their baskets and some candy to stuff some eggs. The kids loved their gifts, and their Easter outfits. They actually got to wear their Easter outfits to the SOS Easter egg hunt. Kyle and I didn't know if we should attend, but we thought this was the only chance the kids would get an Easter egg hunt, and he thought it would be a great missionary activity. So we went and I am so glad we did. We were one of only a couple families that showed up, including the squadron commander. We helped stuff and hide the eggs for the kids, talked with others that were there and got to watch the kids collect eggs. It was a fun outing, and the kids had a blast. perhaps the one that enjoyed it the most was king Chubs himself. Brayden loved collecting the eggs, but could care less about the candy. He thought they were balls and wanted to throw them everywhere. That kid and his love for balls!
This Easter I am most grateful for my kids. They are my biggest blessings, but also my biggest heartbreak. I love and loathe them all at the same time. Being a mom is hard! I don't care what people say, it is hard! It is very time consuming and is completely selfless. In fact I don't remember the last time I got to do anything for me, not even take a long hot shower without being interrupted. As hard as it is I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love these kids more than words can describe, and I thank my Heavenly Father every day that they are mine and that He has entrusted me to raise, love, and teach them. This has been the first move that has actually been really hard on them because they are old enough to be aware of what's going on. They miss their friends, their school, their home, and all that is familiar. But I see them look at me with loving and trusting eyes when I tell that that we are going to have a new home with new friends, and I see them instantly loose fear and doubt. They put their trust in me and know I will take care of them. They know that I love them more than anything even though from time to time I get upset or loose my temper with them. They know that above all else we are family and that comes first. I love my little minions, and this Easter I am so grateful that I get to be with them forever!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment