Can we move here please? I think I am a little too obsessed with the gorgeous weather and beaches. The water is crystal clear and so warm it felt like bath water. Every morning the kids and I would wake up, grab some breakfast across the street at the military USO, then hit the private beach right from our hotel resort. I couldn't believe that the guys were spending their TDY at this luxurious Pacific Star resort and Spa... Must be a rough TDY hahaha.
After a couple hours down at the beach in the mornings we would return to Kyle's room to clean up and take afternoon naps. The guys were nice to play musical rooms so Kyle and us could have a room to ourselves. When we leave Kyle will go back to having a room mate cause another pilot's wife bought plane tickets to come out to visit so they would get the room to themselves. We really have such a great squadron and great guys that are so willing to help out and make things the best for everyone.
After naps the kids and I usually would go do our exploring. We tried all the little ice cream shops along the Main Street in Tumon Bay. Only once did Kyle get off work at a decent hour, and on that day we ended up going back out to the beach with him after nap time. Besides that, we would wait for him to come back to the room, which usually was between 7-8 at night, and then go grab dinner all together.
On Friday I was feeling very adventurous. I wanted to go to "Two lovers point." After looking it up I saw that it was only 3.8 miles away. I thought it was totally walking distance. So after the kids nap, I put Connor in the stroller and strapped Abby to my back in the carrier and we were off. We made some stops along the way such as Burger King for lunch and of course a "princess crown" or so Abby thought.
I just kept walking, and walking. It was all up hill as well. Just when I would reach the top of a hill thinking that was it I would see that according to the directions I would have to take a right and continue to go up ANOTHER hill! It was so hot and humid I literally thought I was going to pass out, then I would check the map and we were only half way there!!! At this point I was really starting to regret my decision to go exploring that day, but I couldn't just turn back now, so we pressed forward.
All the water I had packed I gave to the kids to make sure they were plenty hydrated, as they just sat along for the ride. No water for poor little mom that had a 30lbs child strapped to her back and pushing a 25lbs kid in a stroller... Uphill in 88 degree weather with horrible humidity. Finally we made it, 3.8 miles all up hill later. I was completely red in the face and sweat was literally dripping off me. My shirt was soaked, it looked as if I had just gone swimming. The first thing I did was go inside the gift shop where I knew AC would be and just sat on the floor. No customers were inside, just the lady working the check out counter. She took one look at me and asked if I needed any help. I jut laughed and told her how far we had just walked. She couldn't believe it and told me that in all her years she has worked there I win for walking the furthest distance. Then she told me about a free shuttle bus service that brings tourist to Two lovers point. FREE SHUTTLE?! Are you kidding me? So I almost died from a heat stroke for nothing! At that point the bus driver walked in and we all started laughing basically at my stupidity. He said he was so impressed that he would take us back whenever we were done, even if it wasn't one of the set times for the bus to leave. He told me a hike like that deserves some kind of a reward.
The kids and I decided to take our time playing in the pretty gardens and going to the look out point that had the most breathtaking view of all Tumon Bay. The water was light blue, turquoise, and a beautiful sapphire color. At Two lovers point you can leave behind a locket. The kids and I didn't leave behind a love locket, but we had fun looking at all the ones others left behind. When it was all said and done we were glad we made the horrendous hike to Two lovers point. It became a highlight of the trip for us. The only thing that could have made it better was if we caught the shuttle service there.
The weekend finally came which meant we got to spend all Saturday and Sunday with Kyle. After hitting up the beach in the morning we rented a car and drove around the island. We made stops at the National War in the Pacific national park and museum where we learned more about the battle over Guam during World War 2. We even got to see the hide out cave spots many of the Japanese hid in to spy on US ships coming into port. I did not know any of the history that took place on Guam, but many lives were lost for possession of that island.
Our next stop was the "Fish Eye." It is a long pier out into the ocean where they created a underwater aquarium in one of the bomb holes from World War 2. The walk to the fish eye was so pretty cause the water was so clear and blue, it looked fake almost. Of course Abby and Connor loved running up and down the pier and getting to see the fishies underwater.
We ended a fabulous weekend of exploring and beach bumming with a nice dinner at Outback. American food! The Rib eye was amazing and Kyle and I ate more than we probably should have, but we couldn't help but binge. Blooming onion, mashed potato, shrimp... I'm drooling now just rethinking about it.
After dinner there was a small carnival right by the restaurant so of course we were suckers and let the kids go on a couple rides. They had so much fun on the merry go round. I can't wait to take them to Tokyo Disney in April, they are going to love it!
For our last couple days in Guam we met up with another spouse from the squadron and her kids that just made it to Guam. The kids played on the beach while I got to enjoy soaking up some vitamin D while having adult conversations.
As our time in Guam was starting to come to an end we found ourselves at the pool rather than the beach. We spent a lot of time in the kiddie pool which was the perfect depth for Abby and Connor. I liked it because they didn't get all Sandy. Abby is starting to get brave with the water by putting her head under water and attempting to swim. I think swim lessons are a must for her this summer.
We caught a KC135 from Andersen straight to Misawa after staying a week in Guam. It was a miracle that a flight was going direct to Misawa!!! We were the only passengers on the plane and the kids slept for majority of it. The flight crew was so amazing and nice, and from take off to landing it was only 4 hours. I felt so grateful that our trip back home was so relaxing and non stressful. As soon as we got off the plane we were welcomed back to Japan with a blast of cold air.
What a wonderful trip. Guam is so beautiful. As crazy as it was trying to get there, it was all worth it. We can now say we have been to Guam and I truly hope we can go back again someday. Till then we will just remember the wonderful memories we made and the beautiful water, perfect weather, and delicious ice cream we had everyday.





































I'm so glad you have a blog! I love reading about all your beautiful adventures.
ReplyDelete