Monday, June 13, 2016

Life of a military brat

Life has been slow yet fast. Since Abby's Japanese school is year round we don't necessarily have a long summer break to enjoy, so it feels like summer, and doesn't all at the same time. It doesn't help that the weather has been cold, wet, and gloomy the past couple weeks. June is suppose to be sunshine, flowers, and watermelon, but all I have been thinking of are rain boots, umbrellas, and blankets. 

With Doug and Taylor's upcoming wedding this August in Utah, the kids and I are hoping to make it back to the states for some much needed family time... And sunshine to make up for our lack of summer here.

Abby is really starting to get into baby dolls. She has added her two Minnie dolls, and baby doll to her nightly routine now. They must ALL sleep in her bed with her, and in the morning they must ALL come downstairs with her. It's cute, but also annoying as I seem to have adopted three other "children" I must drag in tote or else my toddler freaks out.
And our donut dates continue. Connor now expects our weekly donut date and looks forward to it. He has to sit at a certain table, on a certain chair... Yeah, I sometimes worry about his OCD issues. Well, I guess I can't say much cause he gets it from me.
All week long Abby has been looking forward to her friend, Tre's birthday party. When it finally came time to go to the party, I never saw her more excited. Tre is her best friend from school, but unfortunately they are moving back to the states this summer. Again, I am having a hard time telling Abby that her other friend is moving away. She still asks about Asher who moved away almost two months ago. The hardest part is I know it's only going to get more and more difficult for her the older she gets as friends come in and out of her life. Life of a military kid I guess.

These kids are so strong and brave! Everytime I take Abby to her Japanese school off base (she is only one of three Americans in the class) I can't help but smile at how proud I am of her. She just jumps in with no hesitation and makes the most of every situation. She is quick to make friends, and slow to let them go when they move away. We still send cards/pictures to some friends that have moved away so Abby can stay in touch with them. When it's all said and done my kids not only will be brave and strong, they will be adventurous and have cultural and life changing experiences being raised as military brats all over the world. Sometimes I wish I could be more like them.


No comments:

Post a Comment