Sunday, February 26, 2017

Setsubun

Oni wa soto, fuku wa uchi. This saying means demons out and good fortune in. Here in Japan during the beginning of February, Setsubun is celebrated to wrap up winter and rid the"oni" or monsters within each of us. I interpret it to getting rid of bad habits and starting new good habits at the beginning of the year. At the kid's school they celebrated Setsubun and all the kids made monster or oni costumes. Then they got to throw large beans at each other to symbolizing getting rid of the inner demons. Abby and Connor had a blast and thought it was hysterical. I think no matter where we live we will always celebrate Setsubun as it's a fun tradition that will remind us of our time spent in Japan.
I seem to talk a lot about Brayden these days, but that's because I can't help it. I can't believe my chubs is going on three months. He is very attentive and loves to watch Abby and Connor. Likewise, Abby and Connor love to entertain him and dote on him. The only person in the family Brayden is not that fond of is Kyle. Poor Kyle, I don't know what it is but every time he tries to hold Brayden Brayden starts screaming. The rare occasion that Brayden doesn't cry in Kyle's arms calls for a photo opportunity and a very happy daddy. Just wait Kyle, soon he will love you just like the other kids do. In fact I am the forgotten one these days when it comes to Abby and Connor cause the only one they care about is Kyle! So for now I will cherish that at least one of my kids loves me more than him. 

We had a bit of a scare I guess you could say with Brayden. He is such an easy baby (something we are just not used to having) that a couple nights ago he started behaving unusual for him. It started after I fed him before bedtime. Just after finishing nursing I sat him up to burp him and he projectile vomited all over my face and shirt. After the initial shock I cleaned myself off and tried to nurse him a little more knowing that everything he had just downed was now all over myself. I couldn't get anything else in him and he began to get really fidgety and fussy. After rocking and bouncing him with no such luck, we tried the swing. Nothing. Now he was getting even more fussy. Hours passed and it became late into the night and he was still screaming with hardly any relief. I was exhausted and frustrated, Kyle was exhausted and frustrated, and Brayden was just upset. The entire night Kyle and I took turns being downstairs with a screaming baby. By 4:30 in the morning I was delusional from lack of sleep and constant screams in my ear, and seriously worried about my baby that I just decided to take hm into the urgent care on base. Upon arriving it was our neighbor and ward member friend who was the doctor that saw us. After explaining that he spit up his food and I couldn't get anything down him for 7 hours, was screaming all night which wasn't normal, and hadn't had a dirty diaper in 24 hours, I looked to him to see if he had any answers. At this time of course Brayden had FINALLY fallen asleep (probably from exhaustion of screaming all night long) and was acting normal for the doctor. He gave him a thorough check up and said he looked healthier than ever and to just monitor him for any other radical changes in behavior. I was relieved knowing my baby was ok, but also a little embarrassed that I took my baby into the UCC just because he was crying. Better to be safe than sorry I always say, and in my defense his behavior was not normal for Brayden. Thankfully the doctor was a fired so he knows I am not a crazy mom... most of the time hahaha.

Thankfully that day both Abby and Connor went to school cause I was exhausted. Both Brayden and I practically sleep all day trying to make up from the night before. Whatever his issue was it seemed to have passed, thankfully. I am glad my happy, easy baby is back and we can all get some much needed sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment