Kyle has made it a goal to go skiing at least twice each month this winter. This weekend we all decided to crash his skiing adventure and tag along. I am not much of a skier because I really, really, really, hate being out in the cold! In fact, I have only gone skiing once with the Benham family while Kyle and I were dating. The pressure to impress my boyfriend's (at the time) family got the best of me and I gave it a go. Once the deal was sealed and we got married I have not felt the pressure of hitting the slopes. Sorry for false advertising Kyle, and thank goodness you are ok with going skiing by yourself.
Kyle really wanted to take both Abby and Connor down a couple runs, so we rented the cutest, smallest skis ever at outdoor rec and headed for the small skiing resort of Okunakayama which we heard is a great beginner's place to ski. Of course the day we attended the ski resort it was extremely cold and windy. I overheard several skiers and snowboards complaining at how icy the slopes were due to the wind blowing off all the powder. I didn't care too much as I knew I would be hanging out in the lodge/cafeteria part watching from a nice warm room. Brayden kept me company, and was such a great baby that slept almost the entire time so I could watch the kids come down the mountain with Kyle.
Abby was the first one to hit the slopes. She was so excited and looked adorable in her little ski outfit. I watched Kyle hook her up in her skis and together they shuffled to the chair lift and went up the mountain. I was petrified that my kids would fall cause there was no bar and the ski lift was some sketchy chair that looked like it would break and tumble to the ground. Before I knew it I saw them coming down the mountain. Kyle had her between his legs and seemed to be supporting most if not all her weight. She looked like a dead slug melting into Kyle's arms the further they came down the mountain. I thought she must be crying but when they got down the mountain she was all smiles. Kyle said she was typical lazy Abby and wanted to just enjoy the ride and have Kyle do all the work.
Then it was Connor's turn. Just like Abby he was beyond excited. I watched Kyle and Connor get on the chair lift and fade into the distance. Soon enough I spotted them coming down the mountain. The difference was that Connor was actually standing on his skis and looked like he was trying to learn. When they came right in front of the window where I was Connor was all smiles as well... even though he insisted on going down without a ski mask. Kyle said he did great and was really learning how to stand and move his skis from "french fries" to "pizza." Typical Connor. He has always been our most difficult child, but the smartest and fastest learner. He is a witty boy and is determined once he puts his mind to it. We are putting all our eggs in his basket that he will be very successful and wealthy when he is older so he can take care of his old parents :)
Kyle continued to take turns with the kids taking them down the mountain, then he went a couple times just himself on some of the more difficult passes. Abby was ok to be done, but Connor was pretty disappointed that the skiing fun was done for the day. Looks like he will most likely be Kyle's ski buddy when he gets older while Abby and I stay inside sipping hot cocoa and reading people magazine together. Hopefully both Abby and Connor will get pretty good this next winter when we put them in ski classes.











No comments:
Post a Comment