Is it spring yet? This winter can end now, please. I feel like I have cabin fever because I am stuck inside with crazy toddlers who just want to run around and be free. HELP! This time last year we were laying on the warm, white sand beaches of Guam while visiting Kyle on his TDY. This year the squadron didn't go to Guam and because of it the long cold days have dragged on forever. Lets just say we are getting pretty creative over here when it comes to entertaining the kids.
The care package the Benhams sent for Valentines Day has been the biggest help. The kids are in love with the movie Trolls, and the KU clothes are absolutely adorable. We have watched Trolls so much that the kids now act out the different scenes and like to sing along to the songs. It really is a cute movie, and has some great music in it. We even sing the songs together in the car when we drive around running errands.
We finally got our China Visas submitted. Its starting to feel real! We will be China bound in about a month, I cannot wait. I have been listening to the book called 'Wild Swans" on Audible when I work out, and now have Kyle listening to the book as well. It gives a great historical account of China from the early 1900- present day. It mainly discusses the rise of communism and is the Autobiography and Biography of a girl who lived during it, her mother, and grandmother's account. I am excited to see the different locations talked about in the book, and to see how China is today after overcoming Mao's dictatorship.
I had parent observation day for my ballet students this week. Usually when I teach ballet no parents are allowed in the studio or to even hang out by the door to watch. This goes even for my little 2 year olds because parents tend to be a distraction. This point was only magnified during parent observation day. In fact the kids were doing great, it was the parents that couldn't stop talking in class and were very distracted. I learned a very valuable lesson that day as it was my first time offering parent observation to my students and their families... 1) NEVER AGAIN will I hold a parent observation class 2) no matter how many times you ask people to be quiet and follow classroom rules/structure they do what they want. Agency, we all have it 3) I am done trying to please parents. I am here to teach the KIDS ballet, and thats what I plan to do, on my turf. Some parents think they know whats best but have they danced for over 20 years? Do they have a degree in dance? Have they taught ballet for over 10 years? Oh stage moms. My favorite part is trying to explain to parents of 2 year olds that are wanting to know the technique their child is learning in class to assist and assess them at home to help them move up class levels.They are 2, at that age the curriculum is called "listening to directions and stop picking your nose" hahahahaha, but seriously! I definitely don't enjoy the management side of running my own ballet program. I just love teaching and dancing!





No comments:
Post a Comment