Monday, September 6, 2021

April 2019

It is finally April, which means hopefully it's baby time! I am so done being pregnant and cannot wait to meet our baby girl. Leading up to "D-day," we have been taking things pretty easy around the house. Naps, General Conference activities, and some more naps. This is my favorite month in Arizona I think. it is warm, but not too warm yet, around 85-90 degrees, school is almost out, and flowers are in full bloom across the desert valley. 






The kids and I have enjoyed watching Kyle play city league basketball and pick up ball with some other members of the church in Mesa. I think Kyle just enjoys playing with his big brother Nate again. We always make sure to stop and get a donut treat before watching our main man tear up the court. How do I have three, almost four kids?!
Brayden's latest obsession are the oven mitts and it is quite hilarious. He thinks he is a crab-dinosaur and runs around the house trying to pinch everyone while roaring like a dino. This kid's imagination is strong I tell ya, and his personality is even BIGGER!

Connor learned how to write his numbers thanks to grandma Kaye. He has been working so hard on writing 1-10 and has the discipline as well as concentration of none other. He is going place in life cause I have never seen a kid so focused.
Easter came, and yes, I was still pregnant. To distract myself from the complete discomfort and lack of sleep (yes, I binged watched the show The Office in the middle of the night and finished all 10 seasons in 3 weeks. Thanks pregnancy insomnia). We dyed eggs, got fresh haircuts, and even got a visit from the Easter bunny. The kids are loving all the holiday traditions, and I am just loving this time to soak up these precious moments with my three amigos.



Layla June Benham finally made her arrival on April 25, 2019. I went in for a routine OBGYN appointment that morning where they did a lot of testing including a stress test because she wasn't moving hardly anymore (later we would find out it was due to the fact that she was HUGE and literally had no more space to move). I was trying not to worry, but the combination of my fears, stress, aches and pains, as well as hormones I became very teary eyed at the doctors. I was exhausted, uncomfortable and just done being pregnant, and thankfully my doctor could tell. I was 39 weeks and after my stress tests, blood work, and other routine examinations he checked to see if I had dilated and "accidentally" broke my water. After my water broke and started leaking all over the examination chair he just smiled and said "oh no how did that happen. Well, looks like you will be having a baby today after all." I am so grateful for a doctor who picked up on my exhaustions, discomfort, and heightened emotions and helped urge our little girl to come into the world by "accidentally" breaking my water.

I quickly went and picked up Connor from Preschool early, dropped off the kids at the Van Allens, and then rushed to the hospital meanwhile calling Kyle along the way to tell him to meet me there. This was the first time I actually had my water break prior to any contractions and not being dilated to a 8 already. It was a unique feeling as I finally started to feel contractions come on with a vengeance. I am grateful with my other deliveries that it wasn't too painful and the contractions were dulled down due to the fact that I had a bulging water sack. 

Once I got to the hospital and was checked in I immediately asked for an epidural as it was looking like I was dilating quite rapidly at this point. Thankfully I was able to get an epidural in time and Kyle was able to make it as well. Let's just say it was a good thing I got an epidural cause Layla ended up being a whopping 9 pounds 10 ounces. She was almost 10 pounds of pure chunk! Once they placed her on my chest and I saw my little baby beluga I was overwhelmed with gratitude to my body for bringing 4 healthy babies into this world, as well as the knowledge that I will never ever ever be pregnant again. It was a wonderful feeling.


Kyle ran home and picked up the kids so they could come to the hospital and meet their new baby sister. I loved their reactions as they each got to hold her one by one. The one who is taking to the role of big brother the best is Brayden. He loves her already and I can tell he will be very protective of her.



Thankfully I only had to spend one night at the hospital and was able to leave the next day. The nurses were concerned that I was driving myself and Layla home alone, but I just laughed inside because of course I had to drive myself. Kyle was at home tending to our other three kids, who else was going to drive me? After you have one kid, life just continues to plow ahead. No rest for the weary, no downtime is ever granted when there other kids needing attention and help as well.






I love having a newborn in the house. The snuggles, the swaddling, and little coos, are all so tender. I could do without the painful nursing every hour, but I am trying to enjoy and cherish it all knowing it is my last time to go through all these feelings and experiences. Oh little Layla, we love you so much and are so grateful you are here to complete our family. 






No comments:

Post a Comment