Wednesday, November 10, 2021

June 2019

Oh June, I love this month. We have been embracing summer by swimming all day everyday, loving the relaxed schedules, swim team, baby snuggles, and a lot of popsicle eating. Abby lost both her top two front teeth, and Connor has made HUGE improvements with his swimming through swim team. I can't believe how much growing and developing they are doing this simmer.




Layla continues to be the best baby ever. Sleeping through the night, eating like a champ. We found that she loves to be swaddled in this one particular blanket. Kyle and I joke that this blanket has magical powers cause once she is all wrapped up she is out for 7-8 hours!

I got to teach a little summer intensive at Southwest Ballet Theatre. Since I just had Layla, my friend and coworker Larissa, carried most of the weight of teaching. It was fun to have Abby and a bunch of her other friends dancer and learn new things together. We also celebrated Abby's 6th birthday. We did a mermaid swimming party and invited some friends over to swim, make slime, and eat cake of course. I am so glad she has such a good group of friends here. 



We signed Abby and Connor up for summer basketball. Sadly the coach knows less about basketball then I do and it hasn't been the best experience for them. They still go to practice and games with a smile and are learning to keep with their commitments. I hope we can try basketball again in the near future and that it's a more positive experience. 
We decided to take a west coast road trip. We started off with driving up through Arizona and stopped to see the Hoover Dam before moving on through Las Vegas and stopping to see grandma and grandpa in St. George, Utah. 




While in St. George we enjoyed family time, swimming, and even got to go see a few musical shows at Tuachan. We took the kids to the St. George temple one last time because it will go under renovation for a couple years here in just a few months. With it being the oldest standing Latter-day Saint temple today it sure is a piece of history.










We continued our drive up through Cedar City Utah where we stopped to see grandpa Don's grave, then up to Provo to see all the aunts and uncles that are attending school up there at BYU. Every time we go back to Provo and BYU for that matter I get flooded with memories from my time there. When Kyle and I first met, where we spent the first two years of our married lives together, and of course where I danced some of my most memorable roles on Theatre Ballet. I can honestly say my best days were spent at BYU and I am grateful for the many experiences I had there. Taking the kids back and showing them around campus sure made Kyle and myself feel old, but we still loved it none the less. 




We stopped in Salt Lake City to see the temple and visit with my best friend, Kim. Kim and I met on BYU Theatre  Ballet our freshman year at BYU and have stayed close ever since. I love our friendship and know she is always there for me when I need her. I was thrilled to find out hat she was expecting her second baby after many miscarriages. Now if only we could convince them to move to Arizona so we could be closer that would be great.



We continued our drive up to Idaho to stop and see great grandma Ruth in Burley, Idaho. We also got to see John and Marielle as well as their kids since they are currently living with grandma. Every time we go back to Burley Kyle is over the moon happy. He loves it there and the memories he made living with his grandparents his senior year in high school. 



We continued our drive up to Oregon to stop and see Multanohma falls, Portland, and of course to Ridgefield, Washington to see my parents. My mom and dad loved having the kids there, especially little Layla. It was my dad's first time seeing her and I loved his gentleness every time he held her. There is something to be said about seeing your own parents become grandparents. It is a gentle transition that leaves you flooded with memories from your own childhood while eager for the future and the relationships your own kids will have with your parents as well. 

We had to get a five generation picture and wanted Layla June to meet her name sake, my great grandma June Alma Cain. I am grateful for the wonderful women in my life that helped raise and shape me. I am more grateful for their influence in my two daughter's lives and am so happy that my girls got to meet their great grandma and great great grandma. 






It was time for us to head south on our west coast loop so we made our way down the Oregon coast, stopping in Cannon beach to stretch our legs and eat some salt water taffy. Little Oregon beach towns remind me of my childhood since that's where we went for most of our vacations growing up. I loved seeing my kids do the same things I did growing up, like going to Tillamook Cheese factory and trying all the different cheese flavors. 







We made a stop to see the Redwoods which was perhaps the most exciting part for me. I have never seen the red wood trees before and couldn't believe how big they actually were. We did a little hike and enjoyed our time in the great outdoors before continuing our drive down California. 




Stopping San Francisiso is always fun. We drove down Lumbar street, ate some clam chowder on the wharf, and watched the sea lions. We checked out the painted lady houses, and even made a few stops to enjoy the street entertainers. San Francisco is so windy and cold, but there are is a lot to see and do there.


Our final stop was in LA to go to the beach before heading back to Arizona. We all loved the sand, sun, and waves. The kids could have stayed there for days and days, they were all entertained for hours. Hands down if I had to choose between the mountains or the beach I would choose the beach. I just love everything about the coast and am glad the kids got to enjoy the ocean as well.

Our almost two week road trip had come to an end, and we successfully used up all of Kyle's paternity leave from when we had Layla. What a beautiful and diverse country we have. From ocean, to dessert, to mountains to wetlands. We saw the entire west coast and can't wait to explore more of this beautiful country we call home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment