Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there! It is a difficult job being a mom, but also the most important one. I am grateful for my two kiddos, even though sometimes they make me pull my hair out. They will always be my babies, forever and for always.

Spring is in full bloom here in Japan. The grass is getting greener every day and the beautiful cherry blossoms are everywhere. We take full advantage of this beautiful time of year by going on our daily walk around north area of base and of course adding on to Abby's ever growing sidewalk mural. She may not speak much understandable English but she knows when I say, "let's play outside" to quickly grab her shoes and yes, the chalk. Both her and Connor just LOVE being oudoors.


This week I took it upon myself to start a little "play group" for the kids, and adults, this spring/summer. I invited all the 13th spouses to join me every Wednesday morning for a play group where we go around misawa, on and off base, and check out a new park each week. That is one thing that is so nice about Japan... The parks! They are everywhere and there are lots of kid friendly places. The Japanese love kids, and we love how they accomodate for kids around here. Hopefully it will turn out to be a sucessful weekly activity where the kids get social interaction as well as us mommies!
We got another new addition to the family this week. Say hello to our new toy... A trampoline. I scored it off of the base yard sale page on Facebook for $50!!!! I couldn't believe I was the first to make an offer and got a practically new trampoline with a safety enclosure net for such a good deal. Abby loves the tramp, and we go in the backyard to jump several times a day. Abby doesn't realize it but that is her birthday present. Happy early birthday Abby! Poor Connor is still not quite big enough to play on the trampoline. He gets to watch from inside the sliding glass door as he jumps around in his little jumper. Soon enough he will be big enough to play with his big sister in the "cage" or so I like to call it.

We thought we would check out the 9s market this week. Every 9th, 19th, and 29th of every month a market comes to veedol plaza where you can buy fresh fruit and veggies, as well as flowers and other fun treasures. I couldn't get past how big all the produce was, and for such an amazing price! Since our prefecture is known for their delicious apples we decided to buy a ginormous apple to share for breakfast, as well as some delicious humongous tomatoes. AMAZING! Seriously, probably the best apple and tomatoes I have ever had. We will be making a stop at the market at least once a month, if not every time to gather our produce to eat.

Connor has mastered sitting up all by himself this week. He has been able to sit alone for some time now, but now I can literally set him down and not worry about him teetering over. It's obvious that he likes the freedom it gives him to see around and to interact with others and toys. He is such a fun, and sweet little boy. I just love his toothy grin and contagious laugh. Both him and Abby sure know how to melt their mommy's heart. 
So I signed the kids and myself up for a Mother's Day cake decorating class. I knew Abby would most likely be too young for it but I wanted cake, and it was an activity for us all to do. Thanks to my friend Rachel who came to help us, the event was "doable" with 2 kids under 2. I think Abby enjoyed herself, after all she is my little artist. I tried to show her what to do by writing our initials on the cake (A- for Abby, C- for Connor, and M- for mommy) but she had her own ideas on how to decorate. With a serious face the whole time she squirted frosting everywhere, added some edible flower decorations, and punctured the cake... You know to help air it out :) it was quite the master piece, a Benham original I guess you could say. It was a yummy treat made with love that we got to share this Mother's Day and that's all that matters.


Even though this Mother's Day I didn't really get a "day off" from child care, dishes, cooking, house chores, or even get time to relax due to Kyle being away, I  got to spend it with the two people that made/make me a mom! I just know that every hug, cuddle, and smile from them is their way of telling me they love me. In that case, I got the best Mother's Day gift any mom could ask for. 

Almost two weeks down with Kyle being gone, and we are doing pretty well. We have our good and bad moments, which is to be expected, but it's days like Mother's Day where I am reminded of my sacred calling of being a mom. Nothing can replace the position of mom in the lives of children, and I am grateful to have the chance to leave an impression in the lives of these two precious kids who are the future! I hope to be the best mother I can possibly be to these two, and be the loving mom I want them to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment