America! Oh how we love and miss you! First of all, we made the rotator flight this time (unlike last time trying to make it to the states) and the kids were decent. To be honest I really just try to black out those 10 hour plane rides from my memory. As soon as we boarded the plane I just put my head down and forge ahead. I just did my best to keep my kids under control and not disturb the other passengers. It is getting easier cause Abby will watch a movie now, but at the same time it has gotten harder cause Connor can walk and all he wants to do is move!
The best feeling was when the plane wheels hit the ground and we finally made it to Seattle... Only to find out we would have a 4 hour layover before our flight to Salt Lake City. Now that was the difficult part. Jet lagged, exhausted, cranky kids for the next couple hours did not create the most pleasant memories I have of my adorable children. When we reached Salt Lake City, we rented a car and drove up to Burley to visit Kyle's grandma. In case you were wondering, yes, we rented the biggest, baddest, newest car we could. In Japan all the cars are old and small so we wanted some luxury driving (seat warmers, leather seats, DVD player, push button to start engine, electric sliding seats, etc, etc). We did have fun driving that beastly car around, and we were also terrified out of our minds that we would crash it!!! We found ourselves often singing the hymn "Choose the Right," although in this case it was to remind us to drive on the RIGHT!
Our first day we got to spend time with grandma Kaye and great grandma Ruth. Even though we all practically slept half the day away trying to adjust to the time difference, it was still nice to squeeze in some time with Kyle's side of the family. We can't wait for Thanksgiving when we can all be together as the Benham family in Hawaii!
The next day we made our trip back down to Salt Lake City to meet up with my family. I was excited to see my parents, Katie, Lindsey, James, and Amanda (Davey couldnt make it till Friday) but I was most excited to see Doug. We all went to the Airport to greet him as he returned from his 2 year mission in Paraguay. I have loved writing Dougie emails and letters over these past 2 years and watch him grow from a boy to a man. He is such an example to me, and has worked so hard these past 2 years and has come to love the Lord and the people of Paraguay. To say he has returned home with honor is an understatement. I am the honored one to be his sister, and though he is my little brother I look up to him.
So of course I was the obnoxious sister in the airport that started screaming the moment I saw him come down the escalator. Once I started screaming, another familly there awaiting their missionaries turned to look at me, then turned back and started screaming as well to their missionary. Hahaha, well someone had to start the chaos, right?! It felt so great to give him a big hug, and to see his expression when he saw Abby (connor didn't make it due to his nap). Connor got to meet his Uncle Doug for the first time back at the rental house, and that sure was a fun moment. Besides looking super tan, and skinny, he sure had a glow about him. A glow, and light that was impossible to notice.
We were able to meet up with my best friend Kim and her husband Kyle (I tell ya, great minds think a like when it comes to picking "Kyles" for husbands). I was super excited to meet their little boy, Emerson, for the first time as well. He is the cutest and best natured little guy.
When I look back on my time at BYU I am so grateful I had Kim by my side. Not only did we dance together, but we took classes together, and I bet if we both didn't get married so young we probably would have lived together as well :). Even now after all this time we still keep in touch. Whether she likes it or not, she can't get rid of me, lol.
Friday evening Katie took out her endowments in the Provo Temple, while poor Kyle had to be the babysitter and watch the kiddos so I could go. He took the kids to Cornbellys though, and even though it would have been nice if we could have found a sitter to watch the kids so Kyle could be at the endowment session, I think he still had a lot of fun with the kids.
Finally Saturday came around, which meant it was James and Amanda's wedding and main reason for our trip back to the states. James was as cool as a cucumber, and was so proud of his bride. It's been fun to see the affect that Amanda has over James. When he is with her he is calm, sensitive, respectful, and just proud to have her by his side. She really brings out James' best qualities and supports him 100%. We couldn't be more excited to have her join our family forever!
They got sealed in the Salt Lake City Temple on October 24th at 10:20. She picked beautiful fall wedding colors of light pink, burgendy, and Navy, with Gold accents. After the sealing we had a nice luncheon at the Lion House on Temple square where we all ate and gave Amanda her official "survival kit" that each one of the married in people get in order to survive our crazy Macdonald family. It's just a fun tradition my parents do to welcome in yet another "kid." Unfortunate we had to leave towards the end of the luncheon to catch our flight back to Seattle for our flight the next day to Japan. We were sad we had to miss the reception, but glad we were able to make it to the wedding.
Sunday came too quickly, and it was time to brace the dreaded 10 hour flight again, this time going back home to Japan. The kids were exhausted and passed out in the airport, and get this... they slept for 4 of the 10 hours on the flight as well!!!!! It was glorious!!! I could totally manage making that trans Pacific flight a couple more times if they sleep like that. The only question is was that a fluke or is this the new norm? I am too scared to find out for a while.









































No comments:
Post a Comment