Back around March this year Boopa was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He was given just a couple months to live and we were all stunned by the news. He lived longer than doctors expected, and was able to live long enough for all of his Macdonald grandkids to see him one more time. Kyle, the kids and I were able to visit him in August when we came back to the states for his grandpa's funeral, Katie got to see him in August as well, Doug returned home from his mission in time to say his good byes, and James was interviewing in Oregon for Med schools and got to visit Boopa a week before his passing. These are all tender mercies from our Savior and we are all grateful for the time we were given with him.
My Boopa, Bill Cowan, was a pivotal piece in turning the events and salvation in our family chain. Boopa, Grandma, as well as my mom and uncle were the first to accept the gospel and become members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Because of his decision I too have been raised in the gospel and now can provide the gospel blessings to my kids and future generations. I will always be grateful to him for making that decision.
He was a loving and hard working man... and a little rough around the edges :). Although he loved to play poker, drink Dr. pepper, carve the thanksgiving turkey each year, fix things, watch Fox News, and tend to his backyard chickens and goats, I knew he always loved us more. Not a holiday, birthday, family dinner, or dance recital passed by that he didn't attend. I am grateful for his example, I am grateful for the many wonderful memories I have with him, and I am grateful to know I will see him again after this life. Death is only difficult for the living cause he is by far in a much better place than we are. Love you Boopa.




No comments:
Post a Comment