Monday, December 28, 2015

The holiday season

With Christmas a week away it is finally feeling like that magical time of year. The weather has been so wonderful... although I seem to be the only one enjoying it. Everyone is complaining about the snow, or lack there of. Misawa usually has tons of snow by now and northern Japan ALWAYS has a white Christmas. With the weather being in the 50s lately it doesn't look like that white Christmas is going to happen this year, and I am completely fine with that. I would be completely fine if I didn't see a single snow flake this whole winter, but that's just wishful thinking. I just hope that when it does finally snow that it doesn't dump the last 2 months worth of snow on us all at once. Please be kind Mother Nature!
 
Kyle has had a relatively easy week. He has been home 4 out of the 5 nights this week in time for dinner, that NEVER happens! The kids love having him home as well. Abby has always been a daddy's girl and Connor has always been a Momma's boy but I have sensed his allegiance is shifting. Both kids just want to wrestle, play, read, and watch movies with Kyle now that he is home in the evenings. As much as it makes me sad to see that I am 2nd best, I know that once Kyle leaves on another TDY or deployment the kids will come clinging to me. Daddy is fun, and a treat to be with while I, mom, is considered old reliable and always there when they need me. I like to think of it as I am the dependable one ;)
I feel like the worst parent ever. I completely forgot to get Connor's one year old pictures taken. I guess that's what happens when you are the second child, sorry buddy. So two months late (better late than never) I just decided to take some pictures myself. They are not professional, but they capture Connor in his true state. He is getting to be such a big boy and loves his blankie, cars, elmo, walking, putting on shoes, and his bottle. Never have I seen a kid pound milk like he can. If he had his way he would drink a gallon a day. For now, we will just limit him to only 20 oz hahaha.








I have been trying to do more crafts and activities with the kids. This week we decided to make cinnamon ornaments. Abby loved it and thought it was play doh. I had to remind her not to eat it! The house smelled amazing for the next couple of days, and the tree was decorated with more homemade ornaments. I would say it was a win all around!
It was our turn to clean the church this weekend. We woke up early Saturday morning to go and get the job done. We brought the kids which always seems to hurt instead of help the process along. Even though they made it more difficult we wanted to teach them and show them that service is important and to do it with a heart full of song. It is never too early to teach your kids about service and correct principles and values.
 
Of course afterwards Kyle made us all stop at the shoppette for a soda pit stop and slushy reward for the kids. Abby of course always seems to migrate to the blue raspberry flavor. I think it was safe to say that her face and hands were dyed blue for the rest of the day. That girl was sporting so much blue, so much sugar, and so much happiness.

We decided to take a trip down to Hachinohe this weekend. Of course we stopped at our favorite place, the fish market. There we got our favorite fish crème cakes, bought some crab to take home and cook, and let the kids run around and play in their huge indoor play area. Everyone had fun. We tried to eat lunch at our favorite restaurant there called Vikings, but we missed them just by 30 minutes. Most Japanese restaurants close daily from 3:30-5 to clean up lunch and set up dinner. So we hit up the local McDonalds cause we knew they would be open. After sightseeing and checking out different stores such as Nitori, we decided to call it a day and head back home to Misawa. It is always fun to go down to Hachinohe and get more of a "city" vibe every now and then.






Connor and I caught a nasty stomach bug this weekend. Luckily Abby and Kyle didn't. I don't know where we picked it up from but it seemed to have made its rounds through the ward and north base. I guess it was going to hit our house at some point. Even though Connor wasn't feeling well, he never let that damper his spirits. He was still a monkey, climbing and crawling on ever thing. His latest trick is trying to climb out of his crib, which I am NOT ok with!!! I fear we will have many broken bones from this kid in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment