Finally, it was Halloween week. The kids have been looking forward to this for almost two months asking every day if it is Halloween. We ordered them Paw Patrol costumes (their favorite kids cartoon show) so Abby will be the pink dog named Skye, and Connor will be the blue dog named Chase. They have been wearing their costumes around the house and can NOW wear them out and about.
To kick start the week I promised Abby we would make a Halloween craft. Pinterest for the win, cause I didn't know what to make with her till I searched some fun projects on Pinterest. Abby loved making her paper plate pumpkin, and I loved it cause it has her hand print (I am obsessed with kid crafts that involve hand/foot prints so in future years I can look back and remember how little my babies were). Then of course it was time for the real pumpkins! Both Abby and Connor did not like the texture of the pumpkin inners, so I basically had to clean out their pumpkins for them. They did however enjoy making their faces. Kyle assisted with that part. Typical pumpkin carving scenario... mom does all the hard work to clean out the pumpkins, and dad gets to do the fun, favorite part of carving out the faces with the kids. Story of my life.
I helped volunteer at Abby's Japanese school this week in which they did a little Halloween assembly. Halloween is not a Japanese holiday, but they are obsessed with it! They think its so fun to dress up and receive candy, the whole idea is really novel to them. Anyways, at the school all the kids gathered in the grand hall and the American parents (there were 5 of us) taught the kids a little Halloween song, taught them some english Halloween words, and had each kid go "trick or treating" for a bag of candy. They all loved it and I loved hearing the Japanese accents as the kids struggled to say "trick or treat." Perhaps my favorite part was seeing Abby and Connor. Connor started crying when he saw me and tried to run towards me, however his awesome Senseis held him and comforted him during the presentation. Abby on the other hand was so proud that I was there. She told each of her classmates one by one that I was her mom and would point up at me on the stage. I am enjoying the fact that I am still "cool" and my kids are proud to show me off and want me there at school. Soon enough I will be an embarrassment to them and they will forbid me to even step foot on the school premisses. When I picked them up after school, all they could talk about was how I was there and it was a Halloween party. I love having kids around the holidays cause everything is so much more fun and special, even little school assemblies.
The first of our many Halloween parties was our squadron trick or treat bash. All the squadron kids dressed up and went to the squadron building around 5:00 on Friday night. It was the end of the work week for the guys (well, they were done flying I should say cause they are never done working it seems!) We got to take the kids down the hall to the various offices and have the kids trick or treat while all the pilots handed out candy. Abby and Connor were having the time of their lives, and it only got better once they found Kyle's office or candy post I should say. Once we found him they didn't want to leave. So for the rest of the night they helped hand out candy with Kyle and ate Kyle's candy as well. I love that our squadron is so kid friendly, and that there are so many kids. Abby and Connor always have a blast at squadron activities cause there are so many friends to run around with that are their age.
The next night we were off to our ward's trunk or treat. Everyone brought chilly and desserts to share in a potluck dinner, then we all gathered outside and went from car to car collecting candy. Some people really got into the Halloween spirit and decorated their trunks. I did not have the time or patience to do that so I just handed out candy by our boring car. I figure in the end all the kids care about is the candy and the decorated trunks are just a bonus. Our ward has changed a lot this summer so it was nice to mingle and get to know some of the newer families better. Since I am in young women and Kyle is in primary we rarely get to have social interaction with other adults in our ward, and haven't had much opportunity to get to know them.
Abby also had her annual Bazaar at her school. Daiichi puts on a bazaar where they sell different hand made items that all the parents bring in as well as curry and other food items while displaying the kids artwork throughout the school. It's a fun event and really gets a lot of the community here in Misawa out to the school. I helped with selling the items. Since I can't speak Japanese they just had me bag the different items that got sold. Hahaha, sometimes I don't think the school knows what to do with us english speaking American parents. I am glad I was able to help though, and together as a family we walked around the school and Abby showed us all her masterpieces. Tomoe Sensei, her teacher, told us Abby worked really hard on her art projects and that they always give her pink paper/pastels/supplies cause they know how much she loves the color pink. So it made it easy for us to spot her pictures cause she had the pink owl, pink butterfly, pink label for her clay project, etc. I love how much Abby likes the color pink cause it's my favorite color too! She is such a girlie girl and even her teachers laugh in adoration every morning when Abby walks in and shows them her pink socks, nail polish, hat, coat, and gloves (yes, she shows off all her pink accessories to her teachers every day).
Connor even had an art project on display. He made a dragonfly and was excited to show Babbo... not mommy, just babbo. He is turning into such a daddy's boy it makes me sad. I am glad though that he is bonding with Kyle and I hope it helps him adjust when the baby comes.
Finally Halloween came and the kids loved going door to door down our street saying, "trick or treat." They have been practicing saying "trick or treat" all month long by running around the house knocking on all the doors saying "trick or treat." It has been their favorite game. I love hearing them giggle and get along, that is until Sandy thinks someone is actually at our door and starts to howl. But finally all their practice had paid off and they got lots of candy (which Kyle and I may or may not of had most of). It's been a fun Halloween this year but I am ready to move on cause that means we are that much closer to Thanksgiving, Christmas, and meeting baby #3!!!














No comments:
Post a Comment