Sunday, April 23, 2017

Attack of the Norivirus

Well, we could only dodge the nasty stomach bug going around Misawa Air Base for so long. I do hate how small this base is and how everyone gets everything here. As soon as I catch word of the flu, a cold, or even hand foot and mouth (yes, that plagues this base quite frequently) I go into what Kyle calls "lysol mode." I make the kids constantly put hand sanitizer on after leaving the commissary, post office, you name it! I then proceed to lysol the door knobs, light switches, bleach bathrooms, sinks, toilets, and go into frantic cleaning mode in hopes to kill any of the germs if they enter my house. In the words of Gandolf the Gray, "You shall not pass!" 

Sadly I did not kill all the germs cause it was our turn to catch the nasty norivirus that had been spreading like wild fire. I think Abby got it from school, and there is not much I can do about that. I sent Abby to school on Monday but got a frantic call from my translator towards the end of the day saying that I needed to pick up Abby because she has uncontrollable diarrhea and has soiled her uniform and back up change of clothes. The teachers couldn't keep up with the mess she was making. When I arrived to pick her up from school it was obvious that she wasn't feeling well and I felt so sorry for my little girl. The rest of the day it was episode after episode of diarrhea. Thank heavens it wasn't vomit. We laid low and I had to put a diaper on Abby cause she was having a hard time controlling her bowls. She got a kick out of that since she hasty been in a diaper in almost a year. She kept saying she was a baby like Brayden. At least it brought a smile and laugh to my sick and pained little girl.

Obviously we kept her home from school the next day. I was hoping that this norivirus was a 24 hour bug and that she would be good to attend school the following day, but I was wrong. Two days of keeping her home from school and dealing with her upset stomach was what she needed to get over the bug. Unfortunately she passed it to Connor, but luckily Brayden escaped. He was the one I was most worried about since he is still so little. Poor Connor though. I knew he got hit with it when he was sitting on the couch and fell asleep at 9:00 in the morning. That behavior is not normal for my rambunctious 2 year old. 

Kyle was terrified of catching it and practically lived at the squadron the whole week. I caught the bug of course since I had to take care of the sick kiddos. Ah yes, the glory life of being mommy. If anything, the positive that resulted from us all being sick was it forced us to slow down and spend more time together. I got lots of cuddles from my sick kiddos as we played around the house watching Paw Patrol all day. It almost felt as if I got to freeze time and enjoy my littles while they were still little. Sure they drive me crazy and are my greatest challenge, but they are also my greatest joy. I love my babies and am glad that we are all healthy once again living in our bleached, sterilized house as one big happy family. 




No comments:

Post a Comment