Sunday, April 23, 2017

Spring break

How has my baby girl already completed her first year of schooling?! Abby finished being in Tsubomi class and now will move up to Nenshyo class. She is all excited because now she gets to wear the formal school uniform with a hat, coat, and pleated skirt. When I picked her up on the last day of school I thanked her senseis for such a wonderful year. Both Wakaso Sensei and Tomoe Sensei were so wonderful to Abby. I was so worried starting her so young in school last year. She was almost three and I couldn't bear the thought of my girl being gone 5 days a week to school. I thought we would give it a try and if she wasn't ready I had no problems of pulling her out. After the first two weeks of school it became evident that she loved it and was so ready. I was perhaps the one not quite ready. Needless to say it was a wonderful year and a wonderful experience for her. She made friends, learned the Japanese language, and started taking PE, Art, and other class electives through the school. This year she was able to participate in different festivals and events such as Tanabata and sports day. What I am most proud of is how she has blossomed into quite the social butterfly, and is friends with ALL her classmates. Abby doesn't see that she looks different from her classmates, she is inclusive to all and they all love her as well. I cannot wait to see what this next year of schooling will do to her confidence.


In-between school years (which start in the spring here in Japan) they have a week and a half off which is basically their version of spring break. I did my best to make plans the whole week so the kids and I would have something fun to look forward to each day. The first day the sun was actually out and it was kind of warm. We took full advantage of the good weather and took a walk and played at the park. I am always amazed at how kids don't get cold. Both Abby and Connor insisted on wearing shorts because the sun was out. It was still freezing in my mind! yes it was nice compared to the long, cold, dark winter days we just overcame, but it was not shorts weather to say the least. After being at the park for 40 minutes I couldn't take it any more and told the kids we needed to go back home to warm up. If they could they would have stayed out there all day. Abby and Connor are just your modern day Elsa and Olaf from Frozen, " the cold never bothered them anyways."


I pulled out the baby toys cause Brayden is starting to get interactive and enjoys reaching for and playing with toys. Connor found a rattle and instantly thought it was a microphone. He now walks around the house singing, no, belting at the top of his lungs into his "microphone." It really is the cutest thing, and he gets really into it. I have tried to sing a long with him when he does his rendition of Frosty the snowman (which just happens to be his favorite song) and he gets all upset, tells me to stop, and then starts over. He even does some dance moves every now and then, you know to give a complete performance. Watch out Justin Bieber, You ain't got nothing on my Connor!
I took the kids to a local strawberry farm here near the outskirts of Misawa to pick some strawberries. It turned more into eating strawberries instead of picking them and bringing them home. We were allotted 30 minutes to pick/eat strawberries for a certain price. Lets just say we left with no strawberries cause we just ate and ate and ate them all. As soon as I would put some in our bucket the kids would snag it out and pop it right in their mouths. Connor's little pot belly was huge by the time we left, and both the kids had strawberries all over their faces. We left with full bellies, and red stained faces. I'd say that was a successful day.
At the farm there were also bunnies for the kids to pet and play with. Abby was not quite sure of them, but Connor jumped right in and tried to hold as many as he could. Even after one tried to nibble on his finger thinking it was food he just laughed and chased the bunny around. Abby cried and was terrified that they would eat her fingers. Connor the Brave, and Abby the whip... oh the difference in personalities between the two of them sure is fun to watch.
On another day we went to Namiki farm and went Antiquing, or treasure hunting as I like to call it, in the town just west of us called Towada. The kids loved getting the Gelato and playing on the tractors. Again, it was freezing and all I wanted to do was sit in my heated car and enjoy some ice cream but the kids insisted we eat outside and play. What is it with my kids and not being affected by the cold?! Later we found this shop that was filled with fun Japanese items from kokeshi dolls, to glass ball floats, and even kimonos. I found an old Japanese tea box that I plan to spruce up and tun into a blanket chest to hold my quilts. It was a fun day of exploring Japan.


No comments:

Post a Comment