Well, we are starting to feel like the count down has begun. I can't believe we are in December, which means next month in January, the month we leave. We have been trying to squeeze as many play groups in as possible, especially with all of Abby and Connor's Japanese friends. Abby's closest friend from school is probably Iyori chan. They started together in Tsubomi class last year. It's actually a funny story because during the first month of school, Iyori chan bit Abby because apparently they were fighting over a toy. Iyori's mother, Ayaka, was so embarrassed that she made Iyori apologize to Abby and gave Abby some cute hair bows she made as a "peace offering" or apology gift. If anything that incident was meant to be because those two girls because best friends after that that. Over the past 2.5 years we have been getting together with Iyori chan and Ayaka for play dates at the park, at the school play ground, and even on base at the weasels den or at our house. This week we played at the weasels den and also at their home. This was a big ordeal because to the Japanese people their homes are very sacred and they do not host parties or get togethers at their homes typically. We were honored that they invited us and truly loved our time while there.
Visiting their home made me realize how blessed we are. They live in a small two bedroom apartment. Right now it's just the three of them (Iyori, Ayaka, and her husband), but Ayaka is expecting her second child, and I can't even imagine how they will all fit in their tiny home. They live very modestly and very simple, but are very gracious and humble individuals. They are always offereing food, snacks, or even gifts to us. We have loved having them as such amazing friends. Ayaka and I are just so sad that the girls will be separated, so we have been planning playdates for them every week now since we found out we were moving. I know that we will always remain in contact with them, and I hope we can come back to Japan to visit them again soon. Ayaka told me how they have been saving so they can come to America to visit us. When she said this I just started crying. Here this very humble family is choosing to save for a trip to come and visit US!
That night I told Kyle about our experience at their home, and we both agreed that we want to help sponsor or help pay for them to come to America for a visit within this next year. They are such wonderful friends that it would be an honor if they came to visit us, and we want to help them make that happen.
I can't believe my kids had their last dance class this week. I have loved having Ms. Mallory as my kid's dance teacher. Not only is she a friend of mine and colleague, but she has to be the most patient person on the planet to put up with my two kiddos. Ever since I started Connor in dance class a couple months ago, he has loved it. He listens so well, and is actually quite good at it! He is a fast learner and quickly picks up on corrections and different steps. Abby, who is in a level above Connor, has the potential, but is often a wiggle worm. She loves dance, but part of me wonders if she will be more of a jazz/contemporary dancer, and not the ballerina that I would love her to be. Never the less, both kids have loved it and have done great under the instruction of Mallory, and now it is time to say goodbye. I hope that the kids continue to dance in Arizona. Thanks Mallory for creating a spark and love of dance in my kids!
Well, our first official hard goodbye happened this week. Since Kyle is leaving for a TDY to Korea this next week, and our friends Mike and Rachel Dreher are moving while he will be gone, we had to say goodbye now. We have been with the Drehers since the beginning! Both Kyle and Mike were in the B-course together at Luke AFB in Arizona, and we both got our assignments together to Misawa, and even were on the same flight out here to Misawa when we moved. Upon our arrival to Misawa they split them up and put Kyle in the 13th Squadron and Mike in the 14th. Even though we have been in separate squadrons we still have remained extremely close and have done things together throughout these past three years. Our first meal that we went to when we all first arrived to Misawa was Thunder Ramen, so we figure it only seemed right to make that our last meal together as well. Oh how I am going to miss the Drehers!!! It almost doesn't feel right that we are not moving together again. They are headed to Holloman, New Mexico where he will be an F-16 instructor to all the new F-16 pilots. As sad as I am to see them leave, I am happy knowing that they will not be too far away and that a road trip won't be that difficult to make :). I can honestly say that I don't think there is anyone nicer in the world than Rachel! She has been such a wonderful and close friend to me. She has bailed me out several times with helping me take my kids to and from activities, taking me to the urgent care when our husbands were gone on TDYs and I needed a ride, being oh so patient while teaching me how to quilt (She is AMAZING! That's why I always call her Sensei Rachel), and that's only the tip of the iceberg! She volunteers to watch kids for the mother's JAM group on base, teaches adorable Japanese kids english, and is very involved in her squadron making everyone feel welcomed and making every new baby a quilt. She has embraced life here in Japan, and life as a pilot wife and I am so grateful for her friendship and example. I hope they have a wonderful time in New Mexico, and I know I am already counting down the days till we can get together again.
No comments:
Post a Comment