Sunday, March 11, 2018

Daiichi winter performance

One of my all time favorite things that Daiichi Yochien does is that they put on a winter performance. This performance is a combination of dances, plays, skits, and songs performed by the students and I absolutely love it!!! I am also so happy that both Abby and Connor got to participate this year. They both were in their class dances (Connor in the Tsubomi boys dance, and Abby in the Sumire girls dance) as well as both sang songs with their particular age groups (Connor with the 3 year olds, Abby with the 4 year olds). Both of their Senseis told me weeks prior that they were doing excellent in their dances, and my dance momma heart had never been prouder.

Sadly, Kyle left this past weekend to Korea on a TDY so he wasn't able to make the performance, but I promised him that I would take pictures and videos of the kids and send them to him. When I arrived the morning of I dropped Brayden off at the Hiyoko Gumi daycare, which he had never gone to before so I was both excited for him and nervous. He was only going to be there 3 hours, the length of the performance, but I just prayed that he would be a good boy and have a fun time. Once I got him settled in I ran both Abby and Connor to their classrooms where they had to change into costumes and get ready for their numbers. Luckily my friends saved me a seat so I was abe to go sit next to them on the floor for the performance. yup, you heard me right, in true Japanese fashion we all had to take off our shores and sit on this giant blanket on the floor. I don't know how the Japanese do it cause after 5 minutes my legs were killing me and I was wishing we all had chairs to sit in. Oh well, I made the most of it, but I had to keep fidgeting throughout the performance to keep my legs from falling asleep. 

Connor was in the very first number and Abby was in the 9th. Connor did amazing! The curtain went up and I saw my cute little boy in the cutest little Japanese outfit that was completed with a giant rice field harvesting hat. He knew all his steps, was on the music, and was even front and center for most of the dance. I have never been so proud of Connor who only has been in school for 2 months. He has embraced his class, and has not once complained, cried, or even said he didn't like school. He is a very obedient boy and loves to get involved in different activities, so Daiichi has been a perfect fit for him. I just wish he could have gone for a longer time like Abby did to really help solidify his learning of the Japanese language. 

Abby's class was split into two different numbers. She was selected to be in the smaller group number that contained only girls. Her Seneis told me weeks leading up to the show how great of a dancer Abby was. Abby has always loved to sing and dance, so this was right up her alley. She was front and center for the whole number and knew every step and was on every correct count of the music. Yay, Abby! She has been practicing at home for these past couple weeks and was beyond excited for me to come and watch her perform. I just wish Kyle could have made it to see them as well. At least we have technology and the ability to film and record the dances so he can view them later.

After 2.5 hours the show was winding down and each age group class level sang a couple songs. Once again I loved watching my kids sing Japanese songs and be completely immersed among Japanese kids. It was easy to find them casue they stood out among the sea of little adorable Asian kids. As the show ended and I went to get Abby and Connor, both of their Senseis told me that they were so proud of them and that they are so sad that their last day of school will be the following week. It put a lump in my throat because for the first time it really hit me that my kids were down to days, not weeks, but days left at school. All their friends, teachers, and amazing opportunities in this country they would have to say goodbye to. I quickly thanked them with a polite bowing gesture that is custom in Japan, and left before anyone could see the tears welling up in my eyes. It's funny how these past three years living in Japan I continuously wondered where we would go next. When will we leave? What will our next adventure be? Now that we know when and where, all I want to do is freeze tme and stay here forever. The military life is so strange and sure takes my emotions on a roller coaster.

On our way out I stopped at Hiyoko Gumi to pick up Brayden. When I arrived I was nervous as to how he did since that was his first "day care" setting ever. As I peeked through the window the senseis saw me and went to get Brayden so they could put his coat on and shoes. They were completey fawning over him and pinching his cheeks and constantly smiling. They told me that they loved having Brayden and that they thought he was so cute (Kawaii). Brayden too was grinning ear to ear and I was so relieved to know he had a great time. One of the senseis said they took turns holding him on their laps and giving him hugs. I thought that was so sweet, and I am so glad to know my baby was in such good hands.
The school gave each of the kids a little goodie bag for doing so well during their performance. I let them eat the traditional Japanese cake which is basically sponge cake wth whipped cream and strawberries on top. It isn't very sweet, but it is very light and refreshing. They loved it and for the rest of the day they were dancing around the house pretending to perform in front of stuffed animals, me again, or even an imaginary audience.

A couple days later I got word from Kyle that he was coming home a couple days early from his Korea TDY! I was beyond excited, but I have also learned to never believe anything in the Air Force until it actually happens. Meaning, I didn't want to tell the kids in case something came up and he didn't make it back. Once I did get confirmation from our squadron that he had taken off and was due to land back in Misawa in a couple hours I ran over to get the kids from school and brought them over to the squadron so they could greet Kyle when he arrived. They figured it out once we pulled up to the squadron because they know we never go there unless Babbo is there.

We were not allowed to go out to the jets like we are sometimes due to security reasons, but the reunion in the squadron was just as nice. I saw Kyle in the hallway coming down to meet us at the squadron bar or gathering point and didn't tell the kids. Then, when Kyle was right behind them he surprised them and they all squeeled for joy. I have gotten used to life acting as a single parent, and sometimes to be honest it's nice cause I don't have another person to coordinate with, but most of the time it's hard because I never get relief and have to play both mom and dad. I was ready for Kyle to come back, and knowing that it was his last time he would be away from us while we were still in Misawa made it that much sweeter. We did it! We made it through countless TDYs during this assignment, and now we can put a final check mark over the last one. I am beyond excited knowing that life should be a little more steady and consistent with Kyle around once he switches over to the F-35.
It has snowed pretty good all day so by the time we finally made it back to the house there was quite the welcome of a winter wonderland for Kyle. The kids really wanted to go out and play in the snow and Kyle was happy to take them out and play with them. I was just happy I didn't have to go out in the cold and could sit and watch inside from the window with Brayden. We partied hard that night celerating our last TDY assignment out of Misawa. All our hearts are full knowing that we will be together again for the next little while, and I don't think the kids have been that tired in a long time. Helps when an energetic dad comes home to play hard till bedtime. Babbo wore them out. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment