Sunday, March 11, 2018

Farewell party

This weekend was a busy, busy, weekend. We first started it off with the kid's OG Christmas party. It's a fun tradition they do every year when the Operations Group puts together a bouncy house, some finger food, and some crafts for the kids to do in a hanger to celebrate Christmas. The big and culminating part of the activity is when Santa arrives on an F-16 and brings each of them a book! This year Abby and Connor were finally old enough to understand what was going on, so they were beyond excited to see Santa. When the big man finally arrived all the kids rushed over to him to see what he had brought. Weeks leading up to the event each of us parents had to wrap books and drop them off at the squadron for Santa to deliver to each kid during the party. The books I picked for my kiddos were perhaps a more selfish pick on my behalf. I got the Harry Potter illustrated books thinking that in Arizona I could start reading the books to them, and these ones are so cool with pictures on every page! Anyways, I realized after buying them that they might still be too young for Harry Potter, and the confused looks they gave when they opened the books was quite comical. I am sure they were hoping for books about princesses and ponies or tucks and dinosaurs, oh well. At least we have them for when they are old enough for me to read them to them, lol.

I wanted a picture of all three kids on Santa's lap cause it's becoming a tradition in our family to see which kid is going to completely loose it and scream?? Each year someone looses it and they have all taken turns as to who it will be. Last year it was Connor, the year before it was Abby, this year Brayden decided it was his turn to have a melt down on old Santa's lap. It took everything inside both myself and Kyle from completely bursting out laughing at Brayden's reaction.

Later that afternoon I took Abby to a farewell party that some of her classmate threw for her. It was the sweetest gesture and I was completely blown away with the decorations, the outcome of people who showed up, and the many presents they presented both Abby and myself (the parents are all my friends too). I have been so emotional lately that I just threw in the towel and started crying once again. I hugged them all thanking them for such kind gifts and thoughtfulness.

At the party the kids made Anpanman headbands cause they know that Abby loves Anpanman, they played a bunch of different Japanese games, ran around and played together, and ate snacks. Then they brought out the cutest cakes I have ever seen! They were so kawaii and decorated with Anpanman characters (of course). Everyone got a slice and for the remainder of the time we all talked and communicated the best we could, me in my broken Japanese and them in their broken English. I honestly could not believe the effort these wonderful people made to say goodbye to us. I know I have said it before, but the Japanese people are honestly the sweetest, most selfless people I have ever met. They are always giving and helping others, and they told me it was important that they give a big goodbye because we are such good friends to them and have impacted their lives (cue the sobbing, ugly crying Jenny). They told me they have appreciated our friendship and the fact that we care so much about them and their Japanese culture. In their broken English they one by one came up to me saying different things such as how we were the first Americans they met that got as involved as we did with the Japanese people, that their son wants to marry Abby (hahaha), that they want to stay in touch, that they hope we come back to visit them again soon, or that they have enjoyed our friendship. Their words were so genuine and sincere, and made for an evening of constant tear flow from my puffy red eyes. I love these people. I don't know if this is the feeling that missionaries get when they serve the people in their missions and then have to leave, but I am honestly heart broken knowing that I am leaving these wonderful people that I call friends and family. I have grown to love everything about Japan (except sushi) and appreciate everything from their simplicity in currency and use of mainly cash over card, to the bowing gesture of resect, to the custom of taking off shoes upon entrance of any indoor facility, or busting out the peace sign for every picture. Japan is quirky in it's own way, but the quality of people that live here honestly makes Japan a great nation.

Before the party ended they wanted me to give a speech in which I thanked them all for making us feel included and for making Japan feel more like home to us than America. I gave each of the kids a little goodie bag and in it I gave a way for them all to contact us so we can stay in touch. I do hope that we can make it back to Japan again soon. In fact, Kyle and I have mentioned perhaps winter of 2019 we could return again for a visit and for a family ski trip. All I know is that these wonderful people have created a space in my heart reserved for them and ONLY for them. Japan and the people of Misawa will forever be cherished in our family. I love them and it physically hurts having to say goodbye. I never in a million years thought it would be this hard to leave Japan, but here I am saying goodbye to some of my closest friends and a country I feel more connected to than my native land.






















No comments:

Post a Comment