Saturday, March 24, 2018

One last hoorah!

Two days before we were scheduled to fly out of Misawa on the Patriot (contracted military plane that flies to Seattle from Misawa every Tuesday) the entire Operational group at Misawa went on the traditional Frosty Weasel trip. It's a big Skiing trip at a local ski resort over the extended Presidents Day weekend every year. Kyle was thrilled to squeeze in one last ski trip before leaving, and this time we were bringing all the kids and putting them in ski lessons as well. 

I went and rented skis for the kids and myself while Kyle packed up the car, we arranged a dog sitter for Sandy and off we went for the weekend. This year the big ski event took place at Aomori springs. Neither Kyle or myself had ever been there. It was a cute little ski resort in the Aomori prefecture, about 2 hours away. We stayed at the hotel adjacent to the slopes, but there were many who opted to stay at the cabins there instead. The first thing we did upon arrival was unload the car and get the kids signed up for ski lessons as soon as possible. They offered English lessons but were extremely extensive, so we decided to put the kids in Japanese lessons for a much better price, and a better opportunity to help them practice their learning of Japanese.

Abby and Connor were so excited, and Kyle and I were excited to see them off to their lessons so Kyle could go skiing himself and I could enjoy a little down time with just one kid instead of three. It was only a 2 hour lesson, and I dint think it would be too bad, but apparently Connor cried for a big portion of the lesson because he was tired and cold, and Abby despite her enthusiasm just didn't really pick up on what to do. So it was safe to say our kids were not naturals at it.

We decided the kids needed another day in lessons to help them solidify the basics of what they learned, so the next day we signed them up and also signed Brayden up for child care so Kyle and I could go skiing together. Both Abby and Connor did a little better in their second lesson, but it looks like there will be a lot of ski lessons in their future in order for them to pick it up like Kyle would like them to do. Kyle and I enjoyed our time together on the slopes, that is after the first initial part. Once again Kyle took me to the top of the mountain, thinking that since I had gone skiing before that I would be ok with a little bit more difficult route... boy was he wrong. In order to get to this one green trail I had to take a red trail (medium difficulty) at first that connected to the green. I was hyperventilating. It was so steep, and I kept seeing snowboarders fall over and over on their way down. So I did what any logical person would do, I started crawling sideways down the slope. Kyle was laughing so hard at me, meanwhile I was just snarling through my teeth at him. I can't believe he would take me down a path that I literally could die on!!! The good news is that after quite some time I did make it down the steep red portion of the slope. After I let the steam blow from my ears and the anger that was pulsating through my veins for Kyle settle, it became more enjoyable. 

We were able to get a couple runs down the mountain, and with each turn I was starting to feel more and more confident and started to go faster and faster. It was really fun to have an afternoon with out the kids and just be one with the bitter winter snow on the beautiful mountain. That night we all met up for a big dinner with all the other squadrons that were there for the big event, and then had a social hour in the lodge. It was a nice way to see everyone one last time and say our final good byes. It still didn't feel real that we were leaving in 2 days! Yes, Kyle will return for a week, but for me and the kids this was it when it came to seeing everyone one last time. 

As we drove away from the ski lodge on Sunday night, heading back to our home in Misawa so we could pack up and get prepared to leave on Tuesday, I couldn't help but smile at how full circle we had come. When we first arrived to Misawa it was over the Frosty Weasel trip weekend. We missed it that year, but made an effort to go the following year in which we had a miserable time. It was freezing and windy and Abby and Connor were so little and constantly crying that it made for a very unpleasant Frosty Weasel trip. The year after that I didn't attend because I had just had Brayden, and finally our last year of attending Frosty Weasel we had a great time! It almost symbolized our time in Misawa...struggled to like it at first and trying not to hate it, becoming a little distant while Kyle was on TDYS and taking advantage of leaving to see him or go back to the States to visit family, then ending with absolutely loving it and not wanting to leave. We completely did a 180 flip by arriving with a lot of anxiety, fear, and hesitation for the unknown when we first arrived, and now we leave full of love, having our eyes opened to this whole side of the world, and being full of contentment. We truly embraced the experiences and opportunities we experienced here. I think our time in Misawa has definitely been a roller coaster ride, but boy has it been the best ride of our lives!









Tuesday morning arrived, the day we were flying back to the States. Kyle loaded up the car with all out bags while I took the kids off to the bus stop to say one last goodbye to some of their squadron friends that were headed off to school. I sure love all those little Panther cubs, and I love their strong friendship. These kids have been so close and have really bonded. They are also extremely resilient! They are constantly being uprooted to new homes having to make new friends. That is one thing they all have in common, and the one link that bonds them together... a sense of understanding of each other's lives. I am grateful for all their strong examples to my kids, and I hope to stay in touch with all of them and their families as we see where life takes them and to watch them grow and become the next leaders of the world!
The time then came for us to leave and to say our final goodbye to our beloved house over these past three years. Even though Kyle would be returning for a week to pack out, and I would return for just one day before Kyle and I would start our cruise vacation, it was still a sad moment as we said goodbye to our beloved home as a family of five. This is the home my kids were raised in and where we went from a family of 4 to a family of 5. We have good memories and not so good memories made here, laughter, smiles, and tears, and screams. It is the end of an era! The time has come for us to leave, even though it feels like just yesterday we arrived. Like a flash flood a million memories and friends faces past through my mind as we drove away to the terminal. This was home, a place I never thought would ever feel that way, and now my heart is breaking leaving it. Goodbye Misawa! Thank you for being the perfect place for our family at the perfect time in our lives. Thanks for the good, the bad, and even the ugly. We leave broken hearted closing a chapter in our lives while eagerly anticipating to open a new one at Luke Air Force base.

No comments:

Post a Comment