Tuesday, February 8, 2022

July 2020

Before Kyle left for the 6 month training we decided to squeeze in a quick family camping adventure. I am NOT a camper, so the idea sounded awful to me, but the kids were so excited and Kyle really wanted to do one last memorable thing all together before the difficult months we knew were coming. We drove 2 hours up north and set up camp outside of Flagstaff, AZ where the weather was crisp and cool. We even brought Sandy along for the adventure. 

We all squeezed in one tent and spent the evening roasting marshmallows, hiking around, and enjoying the great outdoors. One night was plenty for me, but I can only imagine the kids wanting to make this an annual thing. I guess I better get used to camping.










The 4th of July came, one of my favorite holidays. It consisted of swimming, more swimming, and then BBQ and fireworks on the street to round up the evening. We invited Nate and Brooke to come and celebrate with us. The kids all had a wonderful time. The whole day I could feel my anxiety start to creep in. I knew that the next day Kyle would pack up and leave for Vegas and then it would be a long 6 months of separation with only a few weekends here and there to see each other. I am just trying to focus on the long term benefits of what Kyle being a weapons officer will have on our family. Hopefully more stability, more control over our assignments, and overall more training for Kyle to keep him safe in the jet.

My best tactic to carry on is to stay busy. Since Kyle left I have been trying tp keep busy with kids activities such as gymnastics, and swimming, but it is difficult since COVID has pretty much shut down all extracurricular activities for the remainder of this year. The kids and I find ourselves staying distracted by baking, playing games, watching movies, and of course dance. We are finally starting to attend back in person at dance. I have to wear a mask, and some students are still virtual, but its slowly getting back to normal which I am so thankful for.


The last week in July we decided to drive up to St. George to see grandma Kaye and grandpa Brady, and of course Kyle. Its the last week of summer break (even though the kids school is going back virtually and not in person quite yet) so we wanted to escape for one last hoorah! Seeing Kyle was so nice and it made leaving that much more difficult. It was also so perfect because we timed the trip the same time that Carly and Gary came into town to visit. Seeing them again was so wonderful, especially after such a tough year. The kids picked up right where they left off, and we all had a great time being reunited.





Back home we finished summer break with wrapping up little league baseball and swimming with friends. As hot as the summers are here in Arizona, I actually kind of love them. I love the nights being so warm that we can swim all day and night. I love the golden sunrise and cotton candy sunsets the desert so perfectly puts on display every morning and night. I would gladly be hot than cold any day so living in the desert is literally the perfect place for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment