Sunday, March 8, 2015

Mustache March

March. A new month and a chance for new beginnings. We decided it was time to get rid of the binkie, also referred to as ciuccio,with Abby. During the whole move we kind of had a bad relaps and gave it to her all the time just to keep her quiet and happy. So far she hasn't even really realized it's gone, so all is well in that department of life. On the other hand, in the department of Kyle things are not so hot. It is mustache March, and once again Kyle's creeper stache is making its appearance. My attractive husband gets taken over by a nasty bushy caterpillar each year that hangs out under his nose. Apparently it is a HUGE deal at this base and if you attempt to shave it at all during this whole month they fine you $113!!! Oh well, I decided to snag one last picture of my cute boys in their pilot suits before the big one gets all hairy. No more kisses for Kyle.
One day this week Kyle had to leave for work super early (he left around 3:30 am!!!) Of course this happens on the morning that the kids decided to sleep in till 7:30! That is the latest they both have slept in... Ever! Poor Kyle didn't get to seize the moment but I sure did. And to reward my two little minions I let them hang out all morning in their diapers. I know that makes me sound like a bad, and lazy mom, but my kids seriously love hanging out in the nude. Cheers to a nakie yet rested household. Where did I go wrong in raising them 😉.

I had been holding back from breaking into any kind of popcorn cause Abby has a slight addiction, but this week I caved. She ate the whole bowl of popcorn herself and still wanted more. I don't know where she puts it all but that girl sure knows how to pound popcorn. Connor also braved the jumper for the first time this week. I finally got around to putting it together since it came in our quick shipment of house hold goods. He can barely touch the floor with his toes, but I can tell already he is going to love that thing when he gets a little bit bigger.


For this weeks exploring we checked out Daiso (the most glorified dollar store ever) and went down to Hachinohe again to revisit the fish market and explore the city a bit more. A fish market visit wouldn't be complete without our favorite fish shaped creme filled cakes. They seriously are amazing, and well worth the trip down to Hachinohe. We also tried a new restaurant called Viking. It is buffet/all you can eat place where you pick out your raw meats and then cook them on a grill that is built into your table. It was a tasty and fun experience. Besides us wrestling Abby to keep her away from the open flames and me fumbling over the chopsticks (I am still trying to perfect the art of using them correctly), it was still an overall positive and tasty experience in which we hope to visit again soon.


We had the missionaries over this week for dinner, however we had no food! Since we only have one car still, Kyle has obviously been taking it to work. His hours have been long and unusual this week due to the "exercise" the base went under, so we never made a trip to the commissary. So what do you do when you have no food? You order Pizza Hut. We are lucky to have 6 American fast food dinning places here on base: Popeyes, Burger King, Pizza Hut, subway, Taco Bell, and a Charley's (stay tuned for the grand opening of Dunkin Donuts coming soon!) I call the food court here our "escape to the mother land." As much as we love the Japanese food here, every now and then my Greasy American eating habits get the best of me and I find myself homesick for some good old fast food. 

I felt bad that I couldn't provide a home cooked meal for the missionaries, but it turned out to be a fun, relaxed evening, and I think they enjoyed it. Looks like we will have to have the missionaries over again soon for dinner so I can redeem myself in the cooking area.

So like I mentioned before, me and the kids have pretty much been car less this week so we have been getting creative around the house to entertain ourselves. Besides the many, many, many times we have watched Frozen, we also like to have dance parties, read books, practice going up and down the stairs, and take walks exploring  the north area of the base where we live. We found a wonderful playground, that will be even more wonderful when it's warm outside to play on! Weather doesn't seem to have any effect on Abby cause she was all over that playground like it was a sunny, warm August day. Meanwhile Connor and I nearly turned into ice statues like Ana, while waiting for our little Elsa, Abby, to finish playing around in her "ice palace" play ground so we could all go back home and thaw (can you tell we watch Frozen too much? Hahaha)
Rounding out the week, Kyle went to his Squadron Commander's farewell party, while I had to stay behind with the kids. Hopefully we can find some babysitters soon cause I hate missing out on all the fun! But I sure got rewarded with cute cuddles from my little man and little lady for staying back and taking care of them. Being a mom is in no way an easy job, but it is the most rewarding by far. We cherish the giggles, hugs, kisses, and snuggles even though they are often few and far between all the messes, fits, screaming, and crying. The missionaries left us with a message to strive to live and cherish the present moment and remember what really is important in life. It's easy to get caught up in all the little things life brings that we often forget to stop and smell the roses. I know that even though right now I may have bags under my eyes from sleepless nights, aches from lugging around two little kids, and have gone completely insane from too much Frozen, I also know that I will blink and then my kids will be grown and gone. It's time to turn a new leaf and not try to survive these next couple years with little babies but to truly LIVE these next couple years and enjoy the journey.

2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet, Jenny! Love the first picture of Connor and Kyle pre-mustache. Mike's is coming in extra creepy this year too - yikes! I've been told abstinence April should always follow mustache March...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed this today. I had a no good, very bad day and I need to stop at smell the roses (or poop in my case) and i will miss it!

    ReplyDelete