Recital week arrived. I have been teaching my students their dances since January, all for this show this weekend. I have been so stressed out in preparing for the recital I just wanted it to be over. Not only did I have to choreograph 5 dances, but I had to order all the costumes for my students as well as Mallory's (the other dance instructor who's students were participating in the recital with my students), reserve the ballroom on base for the dress rehearsal, find a photographer and organize pictures for individuals and classes, reserve the International Center for the actual performance, work on the programs, poster, flyers, and the list goes on and on. It has been quite the ordeal and I learned some valuable lessons. The main one being that I never ever want to own my own studio one day. I am not into the management part of ballet and running my own studio. I enjoy teaching and would much rather show up, teach, then leave without all the behind the scenes work.
Everything was running as smoothly as it possibly could. On Thursday we had our pictures and dress rehearsal at the Mokuteki ballroom. I got there early and set everything up. The photographers showed up and started setting up as well. I left briefly to pick up Abby from school and get her ready before the big event happened, and apparently that's when everything fell apart. When I arrived with Abby at the beginning of our dress rehersal night the parents and dancers were waiting around and the photographers informed me that they forgot to charge their batteries the night before on their cameras. How do you FORGET to charge your batteries when you have a huge gig planned??? If it was me I would have been preparing for that day all week long making sure I had everything I needed because it was a huge photography opportunity for them as they were making well over a thousand dollars in one night, getting their business name out to over 60 families, and had known about this for months since we booked the event with them back in January. I was beyond frustrated at the lack of their professionalism, and it threw a wrench in the whole night. Instead of running the dances in show order like a normal dress rehearsal we just had to run the dances when we could and when their gear finally was up and running they took the girls back for photographs a class at a time. We started at 3:30 hoping to be done by 6 maybe 6:30., but because of the photographers and their lack of preparation the event went well past 8:00. I had to leave early because I had to get back home to my kids to relieve my babysitter and to nurse Brayden, so Mallory was able to stay and wrap things up. Ultimately it fell on Mallory and myself since we were in charge and we had to constantly apologize to parents that we were behind schedule and to thank them for their patience and understanding. Lets just say we will NEVER work with that photography company EVER again!
Saturday rolled around, show day. Abby was so excited to wear her Belle costume again and I was stressing out as to how I was going to play teacher, mom, event organizer all by myself. Kyle's TDY wasn't suppose to start till May which would have made him around to help with the recital. I had planned that he would watch the kids, come and film Abby's performance so I could watch it later, and give me Brayden to nurse in-between showcases. Of course you can never plan with the Air Force and he had to leave early, putting me in a pickle. I was able to get a babysitter who watched Connor and Brayden while I took Abby to set up and for her to perform in the first showcase. The original plan was for me to race home between shows, drop off Abby and pick up Brayden, nurse him and then return by 5:30 after the shows and clean up. Of course that plan didn't work out and Brayden survived the whole time without being nursed because I wasn't able to run home between shows. Thanks for being a rockstar Brayden!
The first showcase was about to begin. All the dancers had made it , families were filling in the auditorium, and everything seemed to be running smooth. Then one of my 2 year olds started freaking out. She only wanted to be with me since she knows me, and wouldn't stay in the dressing room with the other girls and chaperones. She was hysterical and unconsolable screaming so loud that they could hear her all the way in the auditorium. I unfortunately could not sit with her because I had to attend to my other dancers and a parent volunteer had to pry her off of me and find her mom for assistance. At least that was the worst part to the show. One by one the dances would go on and off the stage. I was busy grabbing dancers, placing them in their spots, dancing in the wings so they wouldn't forget their choreography, and making sure the sound guy (who was Japanese and didn't understand anything we wanted him to do) was playing the correct music for the correct dance. When it came to Abby's dance I tried to stop being in "teacher mode" and switch to "mom mode." I watched her dance from the wings and even got some pictures and video clips. I was sad that I could watch her dance from the front and truly enjoy it. I did my best stealing glances from the wings though. She was so serious and hardly smiled on the stage. Afterwards she told me she had so much fun! When I asked her why she wasn't smiling she said she was focusing on her dance. Oh Abby, what a hoot. I am so proud of her and couldn't be more thrilled that I have a little girl that loves to dance.
Abby helped me backstage with the second showcase, then it was time to clean up and leave. I have never felt more relieved! It was finally over. I never have to put on another recital in Misawa. All I want to do now is sleep, and eat a half gallon of ice cream to celebrate!
That evening I had to attend a mandatory meeting from my translator that we use to help with communication between Abby and Connor's school. I did not want to go cause I was pooped from the recital which was an all day ordeal. She proceeded to get emotional at this meeting and say that some clients broke the contract and shared some translations which she posted on her business Facebook page about the North Korea/Japan scare with base leadership which ultimately got her in trouble and jeopardized her business and her husband's career. I had been so busy with preparing for the recital all week long I didn't even know what she was talking about. She then told us all that they were going to fine everyone $50 for breaking the contract since they don't know exactly who it was that did so. I was so appalled and confused as to why they were going to fine everyone when it was only one or two people that did it. On top of that we have every right to talk to base leadership about her business especially if she is posting information that might mean a threat to out children and ourselves concerning global issues. I could feel my blood boil because first of all she made me drag my three kids down to this meeting at 7:00 at night when I wanted to put them to bed, I was tired and cranky, and she proceeded to tell me that I was being charged for doing absolutely nothing. I raised my hand and asked her if this fee was basically for her to proved a point and scare us all to not share her translations, and she replied yes. She then said if we choose not to pay the fee then we will no longer be her clients and they would help us find other translating services if needs be. I told her I had to leave cause I needed to put my kids down (but really I was just fuming) and knew exactly at that moment that I was done with that service and started looking elsewhere.
Kyle has been telling me to find another translator for quite some time now. This was just the straw that finally broke the camel's back and pushed me to do so. Luckily I was able to find another translator who is actually cheaper and I feel will be a better fit for our family. She is a friend of mine as well and her kids attend Daiichi Yochien as well so she understands Daiichi life. I was elated and immediately told my old translator thanks for all their help but that we were going to be moving forward in a different direction. Ever since I told her we were taking our business elsewhere she has been trying to guilt trip me and is now going back on everything she said, like fining everyone. She has realized that she is loosing business and is mixing business and personal life together which has cause a huge wave of drama throughout the Yochien/Misawa community. Even though she has talked bad about me, said I have been a trouble client, and is trying to blame me for the reason why other clients are leaving her services, I have done nothing but kill her with kindness. It just proves once again that I made a good decision to get out of that situation and move on. Too much drama! I left that behind in high school years ago, I'm ready for a more professional experience with my new translator. Drama, drama, drama! Here's to a drama free future!
Since Kyle has been gone I have really been enjoying my snuggles with my baby Brayden. We have a king size bed and I let Brayden sleep in the bed with me to keep me company. This has been the best thing ever! He has loved it and I have loved all the snuggles. No mater how much space is between us by the middle of the night I always wake up to find him snuggled right up beside me. Gosh I love this baby so much!!! In the morning I love waking up to his little baby coos and bight smile. He knows just how to make me smile and make me feel needed and loved. Thanks for taking on the role of "boyfriend" Brayden while Kyle is away. Kyle better watch out because I have another boy in my life now, and he is by far a better at cuddles and snuggles ;)






No comments:
Post a Comment