I was able to talk to Kyle on the phone on Sunday where he told me the jets were all planning to arrive within the next two days! The run way here in Misawa was under construction which is why the pilots had to leave in the first place. Luckily they finished the repair work early which meant the jets and pilots get to come back early too!!! Since Kyle's job is the ASM officer along with his pilot duties that meant he was going to be in the very last group of jets to leave Korea to make sure the vault was securely taken care of. When the list came out as to which pilots where returning on which days, and at which time, in which flights, I was not surprised to see Kyle dead last. Sometimes I get frustrated because he is always the first to leave and the last one to return. He left over a week before anyone else just because of his ASM job. Oh well, at this point I was just excited to know the end was in sight!
I had a busy day planned for Monday. I was going to wash all the bedding, clean out the cars, vacuum, sweep/mop, clean toilets, mow the yard, and write a big welcome home sign for Kyle. I also wanted to make sure everyone's outfits were all ready for the homecoming since I got cute little flight suites for the kids and patches. I was so excited to surprise Kyle with an immaculate house, adorable kids, well groomed pup, and happy wife who was all dolled up in makeup and cute clothes to welcome him back home.
I said goodbye to some of my other spouse friends monday morning as they all left for the flight line to welcome back their husbands. Then I realized my phone was buzzing like crazy. I checked to see that I had several messages from a friend, who is also active duty, and was TDY to Korea as well. She messaged me saying, "change of plans, Baller is about to take off. Stay tuned." I immediately had mixed feeling of excitement and panic. I started to formulate a plan of action. How could I clean my house as fast as possible? When would he be coming back? Why is he coming back a day early? Man I look like a hot mess, how am I going to look presentable? Almost minutes later I received another message from my friend saying he just took off and would be in the third formation and should be arriving in about two hours. TWO HOURS?! panic!! Apparently something happened to another jet and Kyle was the spare that took off and had to continue to complete the formation.
I quickly jumped right into formulating my plan of action that let me be as productive as I possibly could be. I quickly cleaned up the house as best as I could, and decided the best welcome home sign I was going to get done was a sidewalk chalk sign saying "welcome home Babbo." I quickly jumped in the shower and attempted to look presentable meanwhile throwing both Connor and Brayden in the car to go pick up Abby from school all while trying to explain the situation to my translator on the phone so she could call the school for them to dismiss Abby early. Upon picking up Abby I had 30 minutes left till he was expected to land. We quickly raced over to the flight line where I had arranged for another friend with a flight line badge (thanks Punch and Micki) to meet me to usher me through the gate. I threw on the flight suits I had for the kids and we all raced to the hanger, as fast as we could with three small kids, where Kyle was expected to be at. All the other wives were confused to see me there and when they heard Kyle was suppose to arrive today instead of tomorrow they were all so happy for me and impressed we were able to pull things together to get there in time. All the panic had left and now all that was left was pure adrenaline from trying to process what was going on and accomplish everything I could possibly do in two hours time. I did feel bad for my dear friend Lisa who's husband's jet broke, thus making it possible for Kyle to come today and for her husband to turn back around and go back to Korea to try for tomorrow.
Out of nowhere we heard the boisterous jets soar above us and the kids and I jumped up and down waving to them. I just love the sound of jets...the sound of freedom! We got to see Kyle land and taxi over to us. The kids were so excited but I made them stand by me while holding their hands over their ears while the engines were still on because I didn't have ear plugs with me since we were in such a rush. As soon as the canopy opened and we had the clear to go we all raced over to greet our pilot climbing out of his jet. He is back! We are all together again, we are all home. It was a good day to be a Panther here in Misawa. We survived the final TDY of our time here in Japan. I am so happy I think I could cry. Now if you could be so kind Air Force to please let my husband have some easy days this next week so we can all enjoy him being home that would be great.












No comments:
Post a Comment