Sunday, July 9, 2017

South Korea or Bust!

We have made it through almost the entire TDY. Kyle has been gone now for about 6 plus weeks and it is finally our time to go out to visit him in South Korea. We bought these tickets months ago knowing that Kyle would spend 4 weeks in Alaska, and then the remainder of his TDY time in Korea. Since the flights are much cheaper and shorter to Korea, we decided to visit him there over Alaska. Besides I am always up for another adventure and country to explore. The only other time I have been to Korea was last year when my friend and I took a spaceA flight there for 24 hours to shop and eat. It was a lot of fun but way too fast of a trip to explore South Korea. This time the kids and I were going to be out there for two weeks. Two weeks to spend time with babbo, and two weeks to escape my life back at home with cooking, cleaning, teaching ballet, etc. We were all excited for this trip.

We flew out of Aomori airport which was just a two hour drive from Misawa. The airport is tiny so we had no problems getting checked in and boarding the plane in time. It was my first time flying Korean Air, and it was really nice. The service was great and I swear the leg room was much roomier than any American airline company (which is funny to me cause Americans are wwwaaaayyyy taller and bigger in general than asians). I will admit the food was a little sketchy, but I didn't have high expectations for Korean airplane food to begin with. 

The 2.5 hour flight seemed to go by fast. The kids were entertained coloring and watching their movies. Brayden fell asleep and they brought me out a baby bassinet that attaches to the wall of the airplane for the baby to sleep in... kind of cool, kind of weird if you ask me. It was the most relaxing plane ride I had in years, or did I speak too soon? I knew it was too good to be true. About an hour out from landing in South Korea the Korean couple sitting by us on the other side of the aisle started making weird sounds. I turned to see what was the matter when I saw Abby throwing up everywhere. She wasn't just throwing up, she was projectile vomiting and spewing everywhere! All over the seat, the wall in front, and the ground. I immediately jumped up and rushed her to the bathroom which was luckily right by us since we were at the front of the plane. When the storm had settled, A.K.A. Abby's upset stomach, the flight attendants quickly helped me clean up Abby and the surrounding area as best as possible. Poor Abby, her shirt was ruined, but luckily I brought her jacket so she just wore that for the remainder of the flight. Her seat was so bad that the flight attendant just covered it with a blanket and Abby had to move to the other side  (we were sitting in a row of 4 seats). Thankfully it wasn't a full flight and Abby could move seats or else the rest of the flight would have been extremely miserable. Abby slept the remainder of the flight and it was apparent she was pale and not feeling well. Not what I was hoping to happen on the first day of our trip. 

As we landed and got off the plane, I made sure to thank all the flight attendants for their help. I took one last look at the vomit covered chair and realized that there was no way they were going to be able to save it. It was a goner, a done deal. Can you just replace a whole seat on a plane? In this case I couldn't see how the chair could be salvageable but needed to be set on fire it was so bad. Rest in peace Korean Air line chair, rest in peace. 

We made it through the flight (barely). On to the next step, customs and immigration. Again I was relieved that they ushered me and the kids to the front of the line for priority since I had all my littles. I know it probably ticked some of the people off who were stuck waiting in line, but did they just endure a flight with three little kids while taking care of puke?! I don't think so! I will gladly take my place at the front of the line, the puke on my shirt proves that I earned it. Once we made it through Kyle said he would meet us at the exit E doors. We grabbed our luggage and had to walk all the way down to the other side of the terminal to make it to exit E. I was so excited to just hand over all the kids and bags to Kyle and sit for a little bit and breathe, but Kyle was no where to be found. I walked, and walked, and walked all over trying to find him. Now I was just frustrated. I was THAT crazy lady with a kid strapped to me, a sick kid with puke all over her in the stroller, and a two year old screaming about how he didn't want to walk all while lugging around my suitcase and two backpacks. FINALLY we found Kyle who must have been snoozing or who knows what while we were trying to find him. VICTORY! we made it, and the first thing I did was bee line it to a place to sit and eat with no more worries about kids...or puke, those were Kyle's responsibilities for the next 20 minutes while I just relax.

We made our way on the  military shuttle from Incheon International airport to the Dragon Hill lodge located in Seoul on an Army base where we were going to spend the night. The kids were so tuckered out and just wanted their Babbo that they had not seen in weeks. So again it was a great hour ride for me as Kyle dealt with three sleeping babies all over him. The Dragon Hill lodge was so nice. It is a huge hotel located in the center of this Army base that is located in the heart of the city, Seoul. The room rate is very reasonable, and the convenience and location to travel from the hotel was amazing! The first night we ate at the Mexican restaurant in the hotel because one thing we miss while being in Asia is good Mexican food! It was no Cafe Rio, but boy did it taste amazing to us who were just excited to get some chips and salsa. 
The very next day we had to wake up bright and early for the DMZ tour we signed up for. No rest for the weary. We boarded the tour bus at 8:00 in the morning and drove to the city limits up to the boarder of North/South Korea. On the way our tour guide explained about the current situation with the North and the South, the Korean war, how North Korea has several tunnels that they have dug to try to reach Seoul for a surprise attack and take over, and the hope for a united Korea in the future. It was interesting for me to hear her talk about how the new South Korean president wants to work hard with the North Koreans to become unified. One of the steps he wants to do to accomplish this is to send South Koreans to North Korea to work in the factories. He is hoping for no border and for a unified, strong country in the near future. Don't get me wrong, I think that's what we would all love to see... but is he for real?!?! North Korea HATES the South and the only reason they have not tried to take over the South is because of our American military presence there making sure they stay put and stay on their side. Sorry Mr. South Korea president, doesn't look like this united Korea is going to happen anytime soon until North Korea gets a new, non crazy, leader.

We stopped at the Korean War monument before heading to the third infiltration tunnel the North Koreans had made. This was my favorite part of the tour. We were able to walk down in the tunnel up to the point where the North Koreans have blocked it off. When this tunnel was discovered in the 70s North Korean quickly blocked off the entrance along their side of the DMZ and claimed they had nothing to do with it. HAHAHAHA, who else would have dug a tunnel from North Korea to South then? Afterwards we went to the look out platform where we could see the DMZ zone which is a strip of land between both countries owned by the UN, as well as North Korea. I saw North Korea! There was a small town, which has since been evacuated, some mountains, and areas where the North is removing trees for better vantage and viewing point towards the South. 

When I actually got to see North Korea with my own eyes the first feeling I felt was sorrow. I felt horrible for the people that live there that are under the dictatorship reign of their leader and live in such a communist land. I felt sorrow for those who are starving and have no freedom to choose for themselves. It made me reflect on how blessed I am and how grateful I should be to be born in America, the most beautiful land where I am free to dream and live my life anyway I want to. I can make my own choices and have hope for tomorrow. I don't know if it will be in my lifetime, but I do hope for a better life for those who are living in North Korea under such a tyrant ruler. If it does happen in my lifetime I hope to make the trip back to North Korea and this time not just look at it  from a view point, but to step foot in their land.




The next day we boarded the bus and went down to the city Gunsan, where Kunsan Air Base is located and where Kyle is staying during his TDY. Traveling around in Korea is cheap and easy! the bus ride was only 2 hours long and it was on a luxurious, roomy, bus where we had plenty of space with the kids. It also only cost us as a family of five $45!!! In Japan for us to travel to Tokyo we have to take the trains and it takes us 4 plus hours and costs $150 per person...one way!!!!!

Upon our arrival to Gunsan we took a taxi to the base, which again was ridiculously inexpensive. In fact, we used taxis to get around for our whole trip. We never bothered with the metro since taxis were so cheap and easy. It made for a nice and easy way to travel around Seoul and Gunsan to explore. On base we got familiar with where everything was located, and it seemed as if everyone on base got familiar with us. Kunsan Air Base is very tiny, and most of the military personnel there are unaccompanied, meaning their families are back in the States. With that said, there are no kids around the base so when the kids and I would walk to the food court to get lunch while Kyle was at work we got quite the few stares. We were the weird ones standing out, irregular, strange, peculiar, and unnatural to what everyone else is used to seeing on a daily basis.

We soon became quite the food court connoisseurs. Everyday the kids and I would wake up (we stayed in Kyle's hotel room with him), said good bye to Kyle as he headed off to work, took our baths and showers for the day, ate a bowl of cereal in the room, played/colored/watched a movie for an hour or so, then headed out to the food court for lunch. On our third day being there we just so happened to run into two ladies who each had a kid around 18 months-2 years old at the food court. Now we had gotten comfortable with not seeing kids anywhere so when we saw them we thought how observed, more kids! They came up to me and asked if I was mormon. I was a little taken back by their question but replied, "yes." One of the ladies smiled and said, "I knew it! I saw your garment lines and just knew you had to be." Turned out they were LDS as well, in fact the only two LDS ladies there! Their husbands were pilots stationed at Kunsan and they decided to come and live off base unaccompanied so they could be together as a family. We exchanged ways to contact each other and immediately set up a playdate to get together and let our kids play. It might seem silly, but that truly was a tender mercy from the Lord! The fact that we happened to bump into the only two pilot wives with kids here at Kunsan, who happened to be LDS, and were so willing and excited to show me and the kids around and answer all my questions I might have about Kunsan was a miracle and blessing in deed! The connection of the church and the fact that all our husbands were F16 pilots  made us become instant friends with so much in common. I am forever grateful to Brittany and Becky and their hospitality to us while we were there. 
One day Kyle had an easy morning, but had to work late into the night. We decided to take advantage and do a little exploring in Gunsan ourselves. We explored Eunpa lake park and enjoyed downtown Gunsan. Unfortunately the weather that day wasn't the best, so we didn't stay out too long, but we enjoyed both the scenic aspect as well as the city life Gunsan had to offer. As we walked along the pier of Eunpa lake, Kyle and I both agreed that Kunsan Air Base is not our first choice on assignments, but if we got it next it would not be the end of the world. It is only for a year and the kids and I would come out and live here to be close to him and could totally make the most of the situation. Kunsan is considered a remote assignment, but the town is actually a lot bigger than Misawa, and it is way easier to travel to a big city like Seoul than it is for us to travel to Tokyo. I think I would totally like Korea in fact.

The kids were such troopers the entire time. We practically lived out of a hotel room, which they called "babbo's house," and were completely off their normal schedules. Every day all three kids took a nap at the same time. It was almost like a traveling miracle cause that never happens at home. For being cooped up in a tiny hotel room they played so nicely together and really made the trip enjoyable. The best part of the day was when Kyle would come home from work and we all got to be together. Some nights we would all cuddle in a bed and watch the movie Moana while eating pop corn, and other nights we would go out for a walk to enjoy the Korean summer nights. I definitely had no regrets about coming because it wasn't only nice for me and Kyle to see each other, but for the kids to see their dad.
One of the neat things was while we were there the old DO of the 13th squadron, who became the commander of a squadron in Kunsan this past year, had finished his assignment and we got to witness his change of command ceremony. Jen and "Cracker" McBrayer have been some of the closest friends to us while we have been in Misawa. We both look up to them and see the wonderful example they have set and strive to do just as they have. They both are people full of life, love, and laughter. They are service oriented and as honest as they come. It was an honor to be present at a good friend and role model's change of command, and it was fun to see them one last time before they head back to the states for their next adventure at Shaw, AFB. I will say that these little reunions around the world with military friends is what makes being in the military rewarding for me. I love that I have friends all over the world, and I love that good byes are never good byes, but only "see you laters."
After the change of command we packed our bags and hopped on another bus to take us back up to Seoul for the weekend. Again, we stayed at the Dragon Hill Lodge where this time we discovered the hotel had a massive playground outside for kids. This playground soon became a favorite spot of ours as well as a wonderful bribery tool. The kids got ready in the morning so fast because they wanted to play on the playground before we went exploring in the city. They also behaved during dinner cause if they did we told them we would go to the playground. It works everytime, thank you playground!
We tried to squeeze in as much as we could that weekend while sightseeing in Seoul. First stop was Myeongdong which was considered the shopping district of the city. There we found lots of fun stores, including a Hello Kitty cafe! Only in Asia would we find a Hello Kitty cafe where all the food and treats served come in the shape of Hello Kitty and the whole cafe is painted pink with Hello Kitty everywhere! The kids loved it, and my inner child loved it too. Afterwards we went to the large Lotte mall where we found the mecca food court. It was amazing, I actually thought Kyle was going to cry tears of joy (Kyle's favorite part to traveling is the eating part). We ate Panda Express, and tried a bunch of delicious Korean pastries and treats, as well as American pastries... Krispy Kremes! Oh those doughnuts tasted amazing, it has been far too long since we had a melt in your mouth, delicious, Krispy Kreme. 


Then we were off to Insadong which is more of the traditional, tourist area of the city. There we walked down long streets full of traditional markets and shops. My favorite part was seeing all the people walk down the street wearing the traditional Korean dresses and clothing. We could of rented some clothes ourselves for the day, but it was hot and we thought it not best with the kids. I really wanted to but Kyle wasn't for it, maybe next time. 

We were able to find a plate since Kyle and I collect plates of all the places we travel to together, as well as be in a lot of people's pictures since EVERYONE wanted to take pictures of us and the kids. I tell you what, if you want a 'pick-me-up' or if you want to feel special just go to Asian countries and everyone will stare at you and want to take a picture with you. You instantly feel like a celebrity, hahaha. 
The kids and Kyle were pretty tuckered out by the afternoon, so I promised we would just walk down one Hanok street (traditional Korean homes that have been left untouched) and only one palace, Gyeongbokgung. It is the largest palace in Seoul and truly was amazing. Kyle says that all the palaces and temples look similar from China, to Korea, to Japan, but I beg to differ. They are all slightly different with different styles and purposes. We finished up our day at the Palace and then went back to the hotel where we all passed out from all the walking with three little kids all day long.    








The following day we decided to explore Gangnam. Ever since the hit song, "Gingham Style" came out years ago, this district in the city has gotten lots of attention from foreigners. We of course made sure to visit the large stature of the never so famous Gangnam sSyle hands which is the signature dance move to the song and the music video. After walking around for a while trying to find Kstar street, we finally found it and drove down it in a taxi on our way back to the hotel as we had to get ready to head back down to Gunsan again. 
Before leaving for Gunsan we made one more stop at the war museum which is right by the Army base/post which we were staying on. It was the largest war museum I had ever seen and was very well done. There were all kinds of planes, tanks, and ships used during the Korean war that we were able to go on as well as a large museum inside filled with pictures and other items from the war. They even had a kids section near the back where the kids of course loved running around on the playground and participating in the hands on learning at that part of the museum. Kyle and I sat back, kicked up our feet under and umbrella, and ate dipping dots while we watched the kids have the time of their lives. It was a win-win for all.


Upon making it back down to Gunsan on the bus we realized that we had just less than a week left with Kyle in Korea before heading back to Japan. Almost everyday that second week we hung out with our friends Becky, and Brittany and their kids. They introduced us to a video store where we picked up a ton of Disney DVDs for super cheap, probably because they were all burned copies. They also showed us a couple restaurants that were delicious and a nice break from the food court on base, as well as the magic places that are known as "kid cafes" in Korea. I couldn't believe it, it was like a little kid's dream come true! Kid cafes are places where you go and pay per the hour for your kid to enter this giant room filled with trampolines, mini cars they can drive, ball pits, you name it! They had a musical instrument section, doll section, baby section... everything! They even gave train rides every hour on the hour where the kids got to ride around the place on a train while bubbles came out the smoke stack. Abby and Connor were so overwhelmed they couldn't contain their joy! They were laughing and screaming the entire two hours we were there and were absolutely devastated when I told them it was time to leave. Little did I know that they would talk about that kid cafe for who knows how many days! 






We were lucky to all be together to celebrate Abby's birthday! My baby girl is 4 years old, how did that happen? She is spunky, bossy, caring, and oh so social. We love our little Abby and are so glad she blessed our lives 4 years ago by joining our family. For her birthday we decided to go get a smoothie at the Smoothie King on base and then we went to play with our friends again at their apartment where they had a mini blow up pool for all the kids to play in. It was a fun, yet low key day. When Kyle finished work we all went to the bowling alley to eat Abby's princess cake which we order through the Commissary, and play bowling as a family. As soon as we arrived it was completely packed. Apparently the bowling alley holds a free bowling night once every month, and the 14th of June just so happened to be that night. Are you kidding me? All my baby girl wanted to do was go bowling as a family for her birthday but there were no lanes available and the wait time was hours! We decided to stay and sing happy birthday to Abby and easy the cake there. Then we tried to distract Abby from the disappointment by going back to the room, ordering in pizza and watching the new Beauty and the Beat movie we had just picked up from the movie guy the other day. I promised her that I would take her and Connor back to the kid cafe the next day to celebrate her birthday and that seemed to win her over. Unfortunately Abby's birthday did not go as planned, but we improvised and we had just as much fun making memories as a family. 



The next day, our last full day in Korea, I kept my word and took the kids back to the kids cafe to play. Both were so thrilled and were so happy and entertained that I got to sit in the "mom's lounge" and read while entertaining Brayden and not worry about my kiddos cause we were the only ones there. If we did get Kunsan as our next assignment I know exactly where I will be spend my entire year... at kid cafes!


The following day Kyle was able to get it off of work and we went back up to Seoul to fly back home to Japan. It was nice to have Kyle there to help me get to the airport and all checked in. I did my best not to cry as we said goodbye knowing it was going to be another 2 plus weeks before we would all be together again. We were all sad as we said goodbye, but I am so glad we came out and had those weeks together. This trip helped me in so many ways. 1) It made me realize that I like Korea! 2) I can do Kunsan for a year, it isn't my first choice assignment, but we could make it work and it wouldn't be that bad 3) Heavenly Father answers prayers and sends angels like Brittany and Becky to help us and make our time so enjoyable 4) My love for traveling and exploring other countries keeps getting stronger and stronger the more places we go to, and 5) My kids are awesome little travel buddies that just go with the flow! I love them so much. Here's to hoping our flight back is puke free and somewhat enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment