Monday, July 31, 2017

Nonna's visit

While we were in Korea visiting Kyle a couple weeks ago, my mom had mentioned that she was looking into flights to come out to Japan to visit us. I didn't think it would actually happen, but a couple days later she said she booked the tickets and that she was Japan bound the end of June! I was so excited for my mom to come and to spend time with her as well as show her around Japan. Even though I know my mom loves me, the real reason for her trip was to spend time with the kids and meet Brayden who she hasn't even seen yet. 

Since the airport in Misawa was closed when she bought her tickets, she first flew into Tokyo then up to Aomori.  I drove out on the 27th of June to pick her up in Aomori which is about 2 hours away.  Since she was arriving at night time I left the kids back home with Kyle and I went solo to pick her up. The timing couldn't have been more perfect because as soon as I pulled up to the terminal she walked out. We greeted with hugs and laughter because she did her first international traveling by herself and survived. The whole ride home it was nice to talk and catch up on life.

I was really surprised how well she handled the jet lag. I expected her to be out till at least noon, but she woke up bright and early with the kids and they were all excited to see Nonna. It was also nice that Kyle had a couple "easy days" at work to adjust being back home from the TDY so he was around as well. I honestly didn't know what to do with myself. I went from being the lone ranger for the past two months taking care of the kids, making meals, cleaning, etc. and now I had TWO additional adults to help me with the chores. I originally felt guilty since I knew my mom was technically on vacation, but then she reminded me that the whole purpose of her trip was to help me and to spend time with the kids. I quickly brushed off that guilt and enjoyed the help and more freedom I was granted with her extra set of hands. 
The first day we decided to run some errands on base and head to Shimoda mall. It gave my mom first hand experience of what my daily life is like, and she got to see life on and off base. Once she got over the initial scare and shock that we drive on the other side of the road over here, and that no, the cars are not going to hit us head on, she enjoyed her time exploring Japan's countryside here in Misawa. We ate lunch at my favorite restuarant in Shimoda mall, Pepper Lunch. It basically is a giant plate (sizzling hot plate) filled with rice, corn, and raw meat that cooks itself on the scalding hot plate. I laughed as my mom skipped right over the chop sticks and went straight for the fork. She wasn't interested in trying to figure out how to eat with the traditional Japanese cutlery. 

After about an hour or so of wondering around the mall, we headed back to pick Abby up from school. I don't know who was more excited to see who, Abby to see Nonna and show her off to all her Japanese friends, or Nonna to see Abby and check out her cute little school. Once home the kids would not let Nonna relax who was starting to get tired and hitting the jet lag wall. She was a trooper though and pushed through the day and even came with me to take Abby to ballet and read books to the kids before they went to bed. I think it is safe to say she slept well the first night.



The next day I asked my mom what she wanted to do. She suggested we go to the beach because she has never seen the pacific ocean on the other side of the world. Kyle pretty much had the day off as well, so we all packed up the sand toys and towels and headed to the beach. We first tried Ms. Veedol beach but it was closed for some construction. I quickly remembered that Momoishi beach was just a few minutes south so we made a quick change in our plans and headed there. It wasn't a particularly sunny, blue sky kind of day, but it was still warm and humid... a typical Misawa summer day. The kids loved playing in the sand and running away from the waves that came rolling in and out. It was a wonderful day where we just relaxed and enjoyed catching up while making memories together.




Later on in the afternoon the sun came out more and we decided to head to the air and science museum. The kids loved playing on all the planes that are on display, and we spent over an hour at the indoor play area. Everyone was entertained and content, even Brayden who was showing off his planking skills for Nonna. Afterwards we made sure to get some ice cream cones so my mom could try Japanese soft serve, which is more milky and creamier than American ice cream. The kids just loved having Nonna around who played with them, pushed them on the swings, and always gave them her utmost attention. It was obvious they felt loved and important by my mom.


One of the nicest things by having my mom here was I was finally able to get all my appointments in. I FINALLY got my hair cut and colored, and FINALLY got my dental implant process completed... yes that is correct, I AM DONE WITH MY DENTAL IMPLANTS!!! It only took 2.5 years for them to complete the process at the dental clinic, but it is finally done, hooray! I also got to go to the doctor and get some training in that I needed to update for my job teaching ballet. I was able to do all this because my mom was willing to stay back home and watch my kids for me. Thanks for being a lifesaver mom, and for letting me cross off some much needed items off my list!

I wanted to give my mom a true feeling of Japanese architecture and it's beautiful scenery so I took her to Komaki which is kind of like a little hidden resort right by our church with a giant pond, Japanese style bridges, and old Edo era buildings. We enjoyed feeding the koi fish, and walking around taking in the beautiful day and scenery. We talked, laughed, and even cried as we caught up. As much as we love being over seas and experiencing different cultures and lifestyles, we do miss family terribly! I told her how much it meant to me and my kids for her to come all the way out here to visit us and make an effort. One thing for certain is we now never take family time for granted. My mom enjoyed this area a lot and truly came to understand why we love Japanese culture so much. Japan is a country created off of tradition, history, respect, and humility. Everyone works hard, is polite, and has their values and morals deeply set in their family traditions and expectations. I love the integrity and rich history this country has to offer.







The 4th of July came! Sadly there are no firework shows on the base, and fireworks are banned, so the best we could do to celebrate our independence was to grill up a fine BBQ. We remembered to all wear our red, white, and blue outfits to church a couple days before, but on the actual holiday we completely blanked and didn't wear any patriotic colors. We celebrated Kyle's birthday at this time as well, and I made him his favorite German Chocolate cake from scratch. The kids played a lot outside, and in the afternoon we attended a squadron block party for a little bit. The 4th of July has always been a favorite holiday of mine growing up. I have fond memories of playing outside all day, berry picking, making home made ice cream and root beer, and topping the evening out with a huge BBQ and fireworks show my dad would put on display for all of us and many ward members that would come over to watch. I am sad that we don't get to do anything like that here in Misawa. In fact this is our third and last 4th of July in Misawa and each year it doesn't even feel like a holiday to me. I hope that when we do make it back to America we can start creating fun traditions to celebrate our country's independence with the kiddos, just like I had when I was a kid. 




We made sure to introduce my mom to our favorite ramen shop, Thunder Ramen. We decided sushi was probably too much for her (it's too much for me even and I have lived here for almost three years!) but we did want her to try some delicious Japanese cuisine, so ramen it was. She loved it and also liked the gyoza. It was fun to sit at the traditional table which is lowered to the ground in which we then sit on the ground around it to eat our food. Again I laughed as I watched my mom skip over the chop sticks and go straight for the spoon. That was probably the biggest culture difference she could not understand or get a grasp on.
Our week with Nonna was coming to an end. We decided to have one last exploring day and ventured into Hachinohe where we went to Children's Land and the fish market. None of us had been to Children's Land before and it turned out to be a huge hit with the kids. They had little rides that you could buy tickets for and Kyle and I went with Abby and Connor on the rides while Nonna stayed back with Brayden. In fact over the course of the whole week my mom and Brayden really bonded. She became Brayden's official "nanny" I guess you could say. When I was busy with the big kids getting them bathed, or fed, or dressed, my mom would take Brayden and feed him, bathe him, and snuggle him up. He got a lot of one on one attention from Nonna and really loved being the center of attention in her eyes. So the two of them stayed off the rides (mainly because my mom gets motion sickness and Brayden was too little) and watched us go with the other two kids on ride after ride. After every ride both Abby and Connor made sure to run up to Nonna and tell her how much fun they had on it. I know this made my mom feel so loved and important that the kids would always check in with her and wanted to share their experience with her.



Sadly the day came when I had to take my mom back to the airport for her to head back home. The time went by too fast and we were all sad to see her leave. We took Abby to school in the morning after playing outside with bubbles. Then me and my little men took Nonna to Aomori for her to board her plane for Tokyo then to L.A. Each time she said good bye to each of my kids the lump in my throat got bigger and bigger. I was not ready for my mom to leave. I was not ready for my husband to be back at his 12 hour work days, and for me to be alone for the majority of the day again. It was finally my turn to hug my mom goodbye. It was a long embrace with many tears of joy and sadness. I am so glad she made the trip out to see us and to see Japan. Above all I am glad she made it out for my kid's sake because now their relationship with their Nonna is stronger than ever. See you later mom, be safe and hopefully the next time we get to see each other will not be that far off in the future. As we drove away from the airport I was serenaded by Connor's constant sobs of how he misses Nonna. We all do buddy, we all do.



No comments:

Post a Comment