It's that time of year again, sports day! In Japan all the elementary schools and high schools hold a big sports day where all the students participate in different races and relays. Apparently it's a big deal, but we just go and have fun. This year Abby was participating with her Sumire class and she did several races, and even a dance number. Connor got to participate in some games as well. It's almost like an olympic set up where each class marches in together, they do announcements, light the sports day torch, sing their school anthem and Japanese national anthem, warm up, and begin the different relays and races. Half way through they stop for a lunch break in which everyone picnics outside and eats with their family, and then there is a marching band (yes a marching band filled with 5-6 year olds!) who put on a show followed by each class performing a dance number and ending with parent involvement games. The event is closed when each class re groups, they lower the school and nation flag, extinguish the game flame, and hand out medals to all the participants.
Since there is a lot of parent volunteer hours required from the school, I signed up to help. The funny part is I don't speak Japanese and didn't really know what to do! I had a bunch of little Japanese moms trying to wave me over and explain using large gestures what to do. Basically they gave me the easy jobs due to the language barrier, but Im not complaining. I had to pin ribbons on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners of each race for the first couple of races. Not too bad. Kyle had the harder job which was trying to wrestle Brayden while keeping Connor from running off. At lunch time, Kyle and I were exhausted from trying to corral the boys that he took them home early while I stayed with Abby to finish out the games and events.
I am starting to get sentimental as I know this is our last sports day here in Japan and with Daiichi Yochien. I am going to miss these fun Japanese cultural traditions and the school that my kids go to. I am going to miss these people and this beautiful country. It's hard to believe that this place I have called home for almost three years will be nothing but a fond memory in a couple months when we move to our next destination and assignment. I am going to try to soak up as much Japanese life as I can till then.
We invited Abby's best friend, Iyori chan, from school over to our house to play. Her and her mother were so excited to come to our house and play with us. I made sure to have plenty of American after school snacks for them including, PB&Js, juice, apple slices, and some good old granola bars. Does it get any more American than that? The girls played for two hours, inside the house, outside, on the bikes, on the trampoline. They were having so much fun and I just loved hearing them play together and speaking Japanese to one another. It's truly amazing how much Japanese Abby has learned these past three years. She is fluent and can completely understand and communicate with her friends at school, sensei, and around town here in Misawa. I am so sad to think my baby girl will have to leave her best friend. I hope to stay in touch with Iyori chan and her mother and hopefully Skype every now and then to help Abby keep up with the language and to keep the friendship wherever we move to next as well.
Since I am having a sentimental week I have decided to do a top 10 count down of things I love the most about Japan and this assignment, and things I will definitely miss. Starting off with #10 is Anpanman. This cartoon character has helped my kids learn Japanese, and will entertain them for hours. He has brought countless smiles to my kid's faces, is the theme of this years halloween costumes, and is honestly the cutest Japanese show ever. We are slowly trying to build up our DVD collection so the kids can continue to watch this show once we move away.
Brayden turned 10 months this week. Where has the time gone?! He is such a happy baby, and everyone says he gives the best cheesy grins. He is crawling EVERYWHERE now and getting into everything. He still loves to be the center of attention, and has a melt down if he is ever left alone or if you leave the room. He is my little side kick, my little shadow that follows me everywhere. Oh how I love this baby! He really is such a light in our lives, we all love you baby Brayden!
Kyle participated in a mock Korean war exercise this past week. It was kind of annoying and long since he worked horrible hours since the exercise was 24/7, but it was good training. One cool thing he got to participate in was a massive F16 "elephant walk" as they call it. They loaded all the jets with fake ammunition and lined them all up on the runway where they took off one at a time consecutively as they would in a real world crisis. I didn't get to witness it, but fortunately they were able to capture a picture. Talk about a sight to behold! It truly is such a strong image showcasing the world's strongest Air Force. God bless America, the greatest country on the earth! The battle for freedom is forever constant.









No comments:
Post a Comment