We arrived to St. George and the warm sun greeted us with it's lovely rays. Oh it feels so good to be in a warmer climate! Of course our plane ride had to be eventful... like all our plane rides seem to be. Connor must have gotten sick or ate something bad cause right before we landed guess who decided to throw up everywhere? And to make matters worse, Abby started to freak out and started vomitting out of sympathy. So now I have throw up everywhere, all three kids are screaming, and we are minutes away from touching the ground. At that point all I could do was laugh as we all sat in a huge pile of vomit. Once we landed the passengers around us as well as the flight attendants assisted us in cleaning up the mess, and changing my kids out of their soiled clothes. By the time we made it down to collect our bags grandma and grandpa already had them and were wondering what took so long. They got the full detailed story on the drive from Vegas to St. George. There always has to be some element of surprise when I travel by myself with three little kids, doesn't there?
The next day we didn't waste anytime, and got busy right away doing all the fun activities. We went swimming, played at the park, ate popsicles, went to the children museum, you name it! The kids loved being with grandma and grandpa, and I enjoyed some extra eyes and hands with watching and taking care of my rugrats. My kids love both grandma and grandpa, but it's always interesting for me to see how Connor and grandpa seem to have a special connection, and Abby and grandma. They have their little buddy, or should I say shadow that follows them around the house. Sorry Kaye and Brady, no alone time while we are visiting, my kids will hunt you down and find you :)
One of our favorite places to go was the dinosaur park. It's a newer park in St. George and our first time going. Not only does it have lots of fun play structures for the kids to play on, but it also has a little train ride you can go on, splash pad, and a volcano that "erupts" every now and then. That was my favorite part because everything It started to erupt and make noise and puff out smoke my kids would get so scared. The train ride of course was a huge hit, but so were the zipline swings. It was the perfect little outing in the mornings before it got too hot in the afternoon.
pool, pool, and more pool time was what we loved the most! It was Brayden's first time in a pool and he loved it. We had him just float around with us in his little baby floatie, and I tell ya there really wasn't anything cuter than a chubby Brayden floating around in his little speedo. Luckily no one ever got sunburned, but we all did walk away a little more toasted. Kaye was also grandma of the year and signed my kids back up for swim lessons again. They took some lessons last summer, but haven't been able to keep up with it back in Japan. I was so happy they were going to get more opportunity to learn. This year Connor did amazing! He was a little fish learning how to swim, float, and open his eyes under the water. Abby on the other hand, well lets just say she was less fish and more cat... scardy cat! Their teacher told us it was time to put away the floaties and make the kids not rely on them anymore to swim. So away they went and together Kaye, Brady, and myself took turns helping them perfect their swimming skills in the pool. I just hope we get to move someplace warmer this next year so that we can do a lot more swimming, and for the kids to completely become confident swimmers in the water. One can only hope, right?
We had plenty of time to relax and enjoy our down time as well. The kids loved taking huge bubble baths in grandma and grandpa's bath (who wouldn't?), and Paws Patrol and PJ Mask were our favorite shows to watch on TV since we don't get any kind of cable or dish back in Japan. We ate our body weight in Chick-fil-A sandwiches, and Swig drinks, as well as Cafe Rio and other delicious food places only America could provide. At first I was so excited to be back and eating all the yummy food, go shopping, be able to communicate with everyone, and read signs, but then a little homesickness crept in. Japan has been my home for almost three years now, and I have grown to love the customs, food, people, language, and culture over there. I forgot how rude Americans were, and how disgustingly dirty we are back here in America. Americans are also the most selfish people I have ever met. I do long for the day when I can return back to the states permanently, but am also dreading it as well. I love the opportunities that living abroad has given us. It not only has let us see the world, but it has opened our eyes on different traditions and customs. I feel like I am more grateful for all that I have, more courteous to strangers passing by, and more open minded to others. I will miss Japan dearly when we leave, but I do hope we can have another opportunity to live abroad and experience another culture again.
It was perfect timing because while we were back in the states the movie "Leap" came out in theaters. It's a cartoon childrens movie about an orphan girl wanting to become a ballerina. I was so excited that there was a ballet movie, and knew I was going to take Abby to see it. Grandma Kaye agreed to watch the boys during their nap time, and Abby and I went on a girls day date. We got drinks, popcorn, and a little treat for the movie (when you don't have theaters back in Japan and have not been to a movie in over two years, you go all out!) Luckily the theatre wasn't very crowded because during the whole movie Abby was so excited and would occasionally get up and start dancing along the aisles with the dancers in the movie. My little dance mom heart was about to burst watching my daughter dance all over the theatre. I love that Abby loves to dance! She is my mini me, and I can't wait to see where her dancing endeavors take here. Now lets just hope she has better turn out than I ever did when I was dancing.
Since Kaye is their Stake Primary president, she had to help put on a huge Activity days event on a stake level. They decided to do a daddy-daughter sock hop. I did my best to assist her with preparations, but in all reality it was best if I just stay out of the way because with three small kids I wasn't that much of a help. We did make an appearance at the end of the event to see her and to let Abby and Connor have some fun too. And boy did they have fun! They got to have root beer floats, decorate picture frames, race hot wheels, and even take a picture on grandpa's motorcycle. That was by far the best part of the night. Both Abby and Connor got to dress up and hop on the back of the bike with grandpa for a photo. It was probably the cutest hing I ever saw, and those pictures are definite keep sakes. They might just come back and haunt them in their wedding picture slideshow one day. :)
As our trip back to the states was beginning to wrap up, I decided to make the quick hop over to Florida to see Carly, Gary, Austin and Lennox, especially during this difficult time with Lennox undergoing Cancer treatment. Kaye once again was grandma of the year and volunteered to watch all three kiddos while I take a quick 48 hour trip over there to see family in Florida and try to offer up some help to them. The strangest part of that quick trip within a trip were the planes rides to and from Florida. It was the first time I was flying without kids in years and it felt so strange. It wasn't eventful with throw up or screams, it was quiet, calm, and peaceful. I actually got to read a book, and even close my eyes for a little bit. It really was amazing and a nice chance to rejuvenate before the long 10 hour flight I knew we still had to take to get back to Japan.
While I was in Florida so were Lindsey, Chase, Carter, and their new baby, Logan. It was so fun to see him and get to hold my newest nephew. I got to play a bit with Austin and take him to school/pick up from school, and visit a little with Gary. My favorite part was actually bringing Carly food to the hospital and spending time with her and Lennox there all afternoon. For the two days I was there I would surprise Carly with some yummy Chick-Fil-A, Costa Vida, or any other type of food (cause who really wants to eat leftovers in a hospital? Got to have something fun to look forward to so it might as well be food) and then just sit and visit. At times it got emotional with us both shedding some tears about their current situation, but it was more than often just enjoyable catching up with each other. I loved getting to see Lennox and spoiled him a little bit with some fun Paw Patrol books, sweater, and stickers that I found the week prior. I can't imagine going through what they are going through. And I am so impressed with Lennox, he sure is a fighter! I am optimistic and hopefull that the best outcome will arrive from all this treatment. Never the less, we know that the Lord's will will prevail, and that He knows what is best for everyone. I am grateful for the chance I got to go and see them, as well as I am grateful for my testimony that families are forever. I will always be sweet Lennox's auntie that is a smitten kitten with him, and I will always be supportive through thick and thin.
Alas, my time in Florida came and went too quickly and I was back on a plane to be reunited with my sweet babies. When I arrived in Las Vegas, Kaye and Brady brought the kids to me because we had to part ways and say our goodbyes so we could get back up to Seattle to catch our flight out to Japan the next day. It was a tearful goodbye, especially for Abby and Conor. They really have loved their time with their grandparent and it makes me wish that we did live closer so they could have more of those opportunities.
The flight from Vegas to Seattle was surprisingly uneventful! No vomit, no screams, just really tearful sad babies that had to say good bye to their grandparents. Luckily in Seattle Nonna and Pappie were there waiting for us to help us with the transition from airport to hotel, and hotel to airport the next day. I am so grateful they came up to help us! I don't think I would have been able to do it all myself, especially since the check in for our space A flight was 5:00 the next morning and we arrived into Seattle at 10:00 pm. The kids were exhausted and grumpy, and I kept thanking my parents for being there to help me out, and for distracting and entertain my kids. I was so nervous about actually making the flight because originally they posted 50+ seats being available. I was feeling very confident that we were going to make it... then they bumped it to 0 seats. I started to panic, but felt prompted to still try for the flight. I felt foolish trying for a flight that they had just changed from 50 to 0 seats being available, but I did it anyways. As I waited to hear that I was not going to make the flight back (and was already starting to tear up about it), they announced that 22 seats were going to be available and began naming off people. So many people didn't show thinking that there were no seats, so the man continued to read down the list. I waited, literally holding my breathe and then I heard it, "Benham party of 4 seats 18, 19, 20, 21." I couldn't believe it, we made it at the very end!!! We were the second to last people to make the flight and I let out a scream as I ran up to grab my tickets and stand in line to check in. It was a true miracle, and I am so grateful we made it! My parents couldn't believe we made it either and were happy for us but also a little sad as they were hoping we would go back down to Vancouver to be with them another week and try again the following Sunday for Japan. Lets just say Space A travel is not for the faint of heart because this whole experience probably cost me a couple years of my life with stress and anxiety.
We made it through security with the help of some other military service men who helped me carry my back packs and corral my kiddos, and on to the plane. As we took off I was so relieved that we made it, but that feeling quickly left as I realized it wasn't the end of the battle, just the begining. Now I had 10 hours to entertain the kids before we would make it back safely on Japan soil. Heaven help me!
















No comments:
Post a Comment