As if things couldn't get worse right now, we found out last month that our little nephew, Lennox, cancer had returned. He had a rare form of brain tumor which caused him to under go chemo/radiation and surgery when he was only 2 years old (about a year and a half ago). He was a miracle and has been in remission ever since and they would periodically go in for scans to make sure the tumor(s) didn't return. Sadly, this past month during his scans they saw that the tumors had returned all over his brain and that they were growing at a rapid rate which ultimately lead to the diagnosis of it being terminal.
We were all heart broken over the news. Anger, bitterness, despair, were some of the other feelings we felt. How could this adorable 5 year old have to undergo such a trial and live only for a few years? It didn't seem fair at all. Kyle and I made the last minute decision to drive all the way out to Florida and spend some time with Lennox and his family as soon as possible, and for our kids to say goodbye to their beloved cousin.
Due to the pandemic and Lennox's compromised immunity we didn't want to fly in case we accidentally contracted COVID and passed it off to him. So we decided to load up the Honda pilot and all 4 kids (with their bikes) and drove from Arizona out to Gainesville, Florida. It was a long drive in which we did stop once and spend the night in San Antonio to break up the trip. When we arrived to Florida we were all happy to be in the sunshine state, and spent every moment we could with the Allens.
Lennox had good and bad days in which he was feeling up to playing with the kids or too sick to get off the couch. Regardless, I am so grateful for these few days together to make lasting memories. It was also Genreral Conference weekend so we watched Conference and did Conference bags together. The kids all had a wonderful time together and it was so sweet to see all the cousins together.
When the 4 days passed and it came time for us to leave and make the long drive back home, we all hugged Lennox a little longer than normal. I still remember hugging Carly and for a moment it was like I could palpitate her emotions. I could feel her heaviness in her shoulders, her sad, in disbelief head seemed to be too much to carry. I cannot imagine the pain they are going through. Knowing that you will very soon loose your child to cancer, a ugly disease that takes even the most innocent of children. There was nothing they could do, no deal to be made to prolong and save his life. Lennox would soon be called to his heavenly home and that would leave the rest of us here on earth heartbroken and empty. As we loaded in the car and waved goodbye pulling out of their neighborhood I did a good job to put a smile on my face, but as soon as we turned the corner I just sobbed and sobbed. It was a sober drive all the way back to Arizona, but overall I am so grateful for this trip, for our last visit with sweet Lennox, and for the opportunity for our kids to make lasting memories with their cousin.
Back home we have been in full swing getting ready for Easter. Dying eggs, and doing practice Easter egg hunts in the backyard with empty eggs (the kids LOVE this as a past time). This year for Easter the Easter bunny gave the kids a lot of pool toys. It's almost pool season and I am so excited, I love it when its warm enough to swim.
I wanted to take headshots of the kids to capture their toothy grins. Lately Abby and Connor have been loosing teeth left and right, leaving them with a jagged smile that I always want to remember. I can't help but think of the thousands of dollars I will have to spend to put braces on all of them, hahaha.
April 25th marked Layla's first birthday! I cannot believe my baby is already one!!! Brayden helped me make a cake and we all loved watching Layla open up some gifts that included a bike helmet (she loves to go on bike rides), shoes, and a few toys. To say this baby girl is loved is an understatement. She is our family's whole world, the spoiled baby of the family. We love our Layla June bug soooooo much and can't imagine life without her.
And so the quarantine continues on. As the pandemic rages on we continue stay cooped up at home. Some of us are taking a liking to it cause that means more time for naps, and for me that usually means a husband around more to help with daily chores. As nice as it is to slow down a bit and just enjoy the present I am ready to get back to a busier lifestyle again, I'm going crazy being cooped up!
No comments:
Post a Comment